Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing off topic re big words when I should be turning off center.

Been attending some so called "public input" meetings lately and learned
the latest buzz word that's rolled off the tongues of our local
bureaucrats and assorted 'suck up suits'. The word is.... (drum
roll).... "CHARRETTE". Don't it sound impressive? Great for working
into our posts along with "chatoyance" and "proprioception". With
Webster's help and my ignorance, I gather it means: "An intensive
planning session where citizens are provided a forum to suggest ideas
for our leaders to ignore". Off topic for a woodturning forum, you say?
Judging by some recent threads, this COC wonders.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming

Here in San Diego, we are in the midst of yet another airport study.
We have lived here twenty years and this is at least the fifth such
commission chartered to study San Diego's need for a larger airport.
In every instance, they recommend an active military base as the
choice. Funny thing, the military has never waivered in their position
that they are not moving from Miramar (the air base that was the
backdrop to the movie "Top Gun"). That's OK, because the commissions
never listen to them anyway.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Arch wrote:
Been attending some so called "public input" meetings lately and learned
the latest buzz word that's rolled off the tongues of our local
bureaucrats and assorted 'suck up suits'. The word is.... (drum
roll).... "CHARRETTE". Don't it sound impressive? Great for working
into our posts along with "chatoyance" and "proprioception". With
Webster's help and my ignorance, I gather it means: "An intensive
planning session where citizens are provided a forum to suggest ideas
for our leaders to ignore". Off topic for a woodturning forum, you say?
Judging by some recent threads, this COC wonders.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hey Lobby, over to Leif for the word's origin. He's the wordsmith, but
around here it's probably the same root as 'charade'. "for our leaders
to ignore" was my add on, but I've been to a few club meetings that fit
my definition.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch for the french around here the meaning is a cart, like a push
cart, to haul a load on, our car is probably a derivative of that word.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
Hey Lobby, over to Leif for the word's origin. He's the wordsmith, but
around here it's probably the same root as 'charade'. "for our leaders
to ignore" was my add on, but I've been to a few club meetings that fit
my definition.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here in San Diego, we are in the midst of yet another airport study.
We have lived here twenty years and this is at least the fifth such
commission chartered to study San Diego's need for a larger airport.
In every instance, they recommend an active military base as the
choice. Funny thing, the military has never waivered in their position
that they are not moving from Miramar (the air base that was the
backdrop to the movie "Top Gun"). That's OK, because the commissions
never listen to them anyway.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

=====================
What a difference a few years and a bridge make! Back in the 60's when I was
there, you couldn't have given Miramar to SD. It waqs about a 60 mile round
trip to get from downtown down to San Ysidro (sp?) and back up the Strand.
And the Strand was mostly deserted most of the time, except for the
personnel at NAS.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

" wrote:

Arch for the french around here the meaning is a cart, like a push
cart, to haul a load on, our car is probably a derivative of that
word.

Did a bit of googling. I suspect what it really boils down to is another
nonsensical academic excercise. It is indeed a cart. Perhaps not the
cart as used by Parisian architectural students. In our times it is more
likely to be the cart one uses when cleaning out a stable.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
Hey Lobby, over to Leif for the word's origin. He's the wordsmith,
but around here it's probably the same root as 'charade'. "for our
leaders to ignore" was my add on, but I've been to a few club
meetings that fit my definition.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Turning Cherry Bowls - The process in words & pictures (Not yEnc this time) rockhound Woodturning 4 March 18th 05 08:20 PM
Turning Cherry Bowls - The process in words & pictures (Not yEnc this time) rockhound Woodworking 0 March 18th 05 09:01 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Turning tool tuning tools Stephen M Woodworking 1 February 25th 04 04:15 PM