Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default A COC's annual memorial to our fallen tools

My new catalogs have arrived and it's Memorial Day, so it's time for my
annual memorial to the tools, gadgets and perpetrations that died hidden
away in the back of bottom drawers in our shops, never to be used or
seen again. They weren't the "greatest generation", but they weren't
all bad. Some were merely misguided hopefuls, some just badly behaved
miscreants, but some committed misdemeanors, even felonies. Many of you
are too busy to DIY, others are tool junkies so YMMV, but here's my
list: R.I.P.
Spring loaded safe driver, $38 a dead center with a spring tip. If you
can remove or install a blank onto a spinning spindle, why would you
need a 'safe driver'?

Versa Center, $75- replacement tip $25, a live center with a plastic
tip. Wow!

Scraper burnisher, $35 Works ok, but is it any better than a throw away
valve stem?

Depth drill, $30 Lost your electrician's drill bits and your vise
grips, did you?

Waste blocks, five for $7, shabby chic or an embarrassment if seen in
some shops

Tool handles, $4 to $7 by length, Avoid the misery of turning wood, just
drill a centered hole for the tang if you can.

Wire burner set, $12 A miniature bola for the turner that needs one
thing more than everything.

Taper Mate, $14 A plastic spindle taper
cleaner that substitutes for a rag on a stick.

Plastic anti lock spindle washers, $2 No decent turner would stamp out
washers from ugly milk cartons. Plus think of the risk from residual
cholesterol.

A sharp edged metal pipe masquerading as a combination gouge and dust
collector: A dive mask pretending to be a 'Respirator'; An uppity
drill press add on calling itselt a 'Vertilathe' $ vary, I can love
the inventor of each, but hate the device.

Several handled round and flat tools with missing flutes, $ vary, but
there are no bargains. Most turners own a grinder and some could shape
points, bevels and curves on less expensive steel blanks of the same
quality.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message
My new catalogs have arrived and it's Memorial Day, so it's time for my
annual memorial to the tools, gadgets and perpetrations that died hidden
away in the back of bottom drawers in our shops, never to be used or
seen again. They weren't the "greatest generation", but they weren't
all bad. Some were merely misguided hopefuls, some just badly behaved
miscreants, but some committed misdemeanors, even felonies. Many of you
are too busy to DIY, others are tool junkies so YMMV, but here's my
list: R.I.P.

SNIP List

Ol' Blue entered semi-retirement in the garage this morning. His stand is
dismantled, and a replacement under construction. I actually still have the
metal one that came with, in the shed.

He goes to the big kid when he Leaves Iraq in October. Seems fitting, as
we used to make his first tuition payment every year with stuff made on
Blue.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming

At our next club meeting, we are having a swap meet for all the things
we don't need or use. Of course, there will be lots of bargains there
because, as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

VacuGouge - I have one and use it!!

Stewart chatter tool - I just don't like making tops

Axminster eccentric chuck - I'll use it some day

Several scrapers - for the boxes I rarely make

Wood blanks - accummulated to make eggs, pens, Christmas ornaments,
boxes, vases, natural edge bowls

Banjo-mounted carving mandrels - I have three and have used them a
combined twice!!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi Joe, I may have disrespected the vacugouge. Could you write a little
about how you use yours? I kinda hoped that others would defend their
favorites that I insulted. Keep me in mind when your eccentric
chuck becomes a 'bargain'.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) Keep me in mind when your eccentric chuck becomes a
'bargain'.
Eccentric turners don't need eccentric chucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Leo, I'm not eccentric, I just turn on a different axis and post to a
different thread.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter