Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bassboat

Default Super Nova vs. Oneway Chucks

Thanks for all the comments. Since my post I have been looking at the
Vicmark. I like the idea that it is a closed chuck and therfore the inside
of the chuck will stay clean. I will think about it for a while. I'm not
ready to buy the chuck yet. I need
some time to get the money together. Thanks again.
John

"WA5FDF" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bassboat wrote:
Hi, my name is John and I am new to this group. I am also new to
woodturning.
I would like some advice as to which chuck to buy for my Jet 14-42 lathe.
Can
someone give me some good advice? TIA.
John

I have a Oneway Talon, SuperNova2, and a Vicmarc 120. If I was starting
over I would purchase the Vicmarc chucks as I really like them better.
But since I started with the Talon I will probably obtain another body
to use multiple jaws. The Talon is a great chuck with nothing lacking.
I don't particularly like the Nova since it tightens backwards and has
been balky since I got it. It will stop tightening or loosening and you
have to move the wrench to the other slot and then it will go. I keep
it because I have several face plate rings I use on segmented projects
to be able to quickly take on and off.

Frankly I don't truly believe you can go wrong if you stick with a good
brand chuck. Like everything chucks, lathes, and all other things
everyone has a pet or likes a feature of one or the other. Main thing
is look at the jaw selection and see which one offers jaws that better
fit your turnings.

Vernon

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

the new novas are also closed but that really should not be a problem as
long as you clean your tools. I've never had that kind of problem with
my older super novas

Bassboat wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. Since my post I have been looking at the
Vicmark. I like the idea that it is a closed chuck and therfore the inside
of the chuck will stay clean. I will think about it for a while. I'm not
ready to buy the chuck yet. I need
some time to get the money together. Thanks again.
John

"WA5FDF" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bassboat wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

just because it's closed doesn't mean that it will stay clean - but it
stays much cleaner - figure on opening it and cleaning it out every
300 hours or so of turning -=== i just made that number up - it will
eventually get sticky then you just open it and clean it - the open
chucks can be cleaned with a blast of air, but they need to be opened
and cleaned for real much more often

On Mon, 1 May 2006 18:38:23 -0500, "Bassboat"
wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. Since my post I have been looking at the
Vicmark. I like the idea that it is a closed chuck and therfore the inside
of the chuck will stay clean. I will think about it for a while. I'm not
ready to buy the chuck yet. I need
some time to get the money together. Thanks again.
John

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote
in message ...
just because it's closed doesn't mean that it will stay clean - but it
stays much cleaner - figure on opening it and cleaning it out every
300 hours or so of turning -=== i just made that number up - it will
eventually get sticky then you just open it and clean it - the open
chucks can be cleaned with a blast of air, but they need to be opened
and cleaned for real much more often

With the front having the same access holes to the scroll, regardless the
enclosed rear, I don't understand how the open style needs more cleaning.
Neither style requires much if you don't get finishes all over them. It's
mostly dust, and as others have mentioned, compressed air or a brush cleans
that up fine. I have a couple "closed" back standard NOVAs of a dozen years
or more vintage, and a couple of open-backed supers. Seems no real
difference in times between cleaning. Leaving the chuck face up on the
table behind the lathe where it can fill up with shavings and dust is
counted as abuse, not standard operation.

If something seems wrong with _any_ chuck, troubleshoot and repair as
required. Beyond comprehension that someone would allow the trouble to
continue.

If you get the Super, and it's a great chuck, just remember that it tightens
right, loosens left in the expansion mode. Some people seem to enjoy
parading their incomprehension as if it were a fault of the device. One can
only imagine what the blade on their tablesaw must look like if they can't
figure out a left-hand thread. "Leftie Lucy doesn't spread 'em for chuck."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Barnett

"Bassboat" writes:

Thanks for all the comments. Since my post I have been looking at the
Vicmark. I like the idea that it is a closed chuck and therfore the inside
of the chuck will stay clean. I will think about it for a while. I'm not
ready to buy the chuck yet. I need
some time to get the money together. Thanks again.

Price the chucks with 4 sets of jaws, and compare the price with one
of the package deals from kmstools.com

This is the reason I went with the Nova family.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
Bruce Barnett wrote:

Price the chucks with 4 sets of jaws, and compare the price with one
of the package deals from kmstools.com

This is the reason I went with the Nova family.

Bob actually slightly customized a package for me, got a reasonable
deal. Check their ebay store at
http://stores.ebay.com/Woodworker-Sp...eZstrkQ3amefsQ
3amesstQQtZkm

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop

"Bassboat" wrote in message
Thanks for all the comments. Since my post I have been looking at the
Vicmark. I like the idea that it is a closed chuck and therfore the inside
of the chuck will stay clean. I will think about it for a while. I'm not
ready to buy the chuck yet. I need
some time to get the money together. Thanks again.

John--I, like you, have a 1442. I have only the larger Vicmarc, so I can't
offer a comparison with other chucks. I can, however, say that the Vic is a
precision tool that meet my needs perfectly without exception. The 14"
Adjusta-jaws are wonderful for reverse-chucking bowls to finish off the
bases. Thanks to the 1442's pivoting headstock I can reverse a 15" bowl
with ease.

Operating on the assumption that Vicmarc's lathes are built as precisely as
this chuck, my next lathe will likely be a Vicmarc VL300.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 03 May 2006 12:48:44 GMT, "Maxprop" wrote:

"Bassboat" wrote in message
[...]

I have the 1442VS and 2 talon chucks... My brother is getting back into turning
and has been researching chucks for a while.. he's leaning toward the talon or
stronghold (overkill, IMHO) but has been getting demos of several...
I have no experience with vicmark, but he said that they were the "nicest
looking" chuck.. lol
(He's a retired jet mechanic)
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Don Sayler

"Bassboat" wrote in message
[...]

Keep in mind that the Stronghold and Talon each have jaws available that are
not supplied for the other.