Tony Wells

Default Help wanted - Indexing on the Super Nova chuck

Some help please. Whilst the Super Nova 2 chuck now has an indexing ring, my
original Super Nova hasn't, and I need one to achieve a series of equally
spaced holes around a bowl rim. The headstock design of my Draper lathe
prevents me from attaching anything to that, so has anyone fitted one
directly to the chuck or it's jaws please?

TIA

Tony Wells.

Leo Lichtman

"Chuck" wrote: (clip) you could make a metal plate with the same sized
center hole as the spindle, with indexing holes drilled therein, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The difficulty here is laying out and drilling all the holes, making sure
they are equally spaced. Another possibility would be to mount a circular
saw blade on the spindle, and use the notches between the teeth. Problem
there is enlarging the center hole to fit your spindle, and making sure it
is perfectly centered.

Maybe you could clamp a saw blade to a piece of metal or plastic, and use it
as a drill guide.

BTW, I just bought a Veritas Optical Center Punch from Lee Valley. It
would be invaluable for such a project--you get to position the center punch
using a built-in 8x magnifier with cross hairs.

Chuck

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:31:46 +0000 (UTC), "Tony Wells"
wrote:

Some help please. Whilst the Super Nova 2 chuck now has an indexing ring, my
original Super Nova hasn't, and I need one to achieve a series of equally
spaced holes around a bowl rim. The headstock design of my Draper lathe
prevents me from attaching anything to that, so has anyone fitted one
directly to the chuck or it's jaws please?

Assuming you thread your chuck on to the spindle, you could make a
metal plate with the same sized center hole as the spindle, with
indexing holes drilled therein, slip plate onto spindle, thread on
chuck, Viola.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Fred Holder

Hello Tony,

I've made several indexing plates using 1/4" Birch Plywood as the base. I
drilled a hole in the center to fit the lathe spindle, slipped the plywood onto
the spindle, screwed on a chuck or faceplate to hold the plywood solid. Turn the
plywood round, move in a bit from the rim and cut a shallow groove with a skew
chisel. Measure the diameter of the groove you've cut and multiply that by pi
(3.14159). Divide that sum by the number index holes you need. Set a pair of
dividers to that dimension and step off your number of holes around the groove.
If your setting is exact, the last step should end up in the first hole
position. Now, use a Forstner bit (I use 1/4" drill) and drill holes about half
way through the plywood. You now have an indexing plate.

Note: If you work out the setting for the dividers and work backward to get the
diameter of the groove, you will simplify the setting of the dividers.

Take a flat board and drill a hole in its center. Saw a slot in one end with a
hack saw. Clamp this board to your lathe bed and take an old hacksaw blade and
slide it up and down until the hole in the end will line up with one of the
holes in your index plate. Glue the blade into the board and break off the
portion below the board. Now, turn a short length of 1/4" dowel down to fit
throught the hole in the hacksaw blade. Glue it to the hacksaw blade with epoxy
or super glue. You now have the indexing pin to position your indexing plate.
Simply pull the hacksaw blade back, rotate to the next position and allow the
dowel to enter the hole. I actually used brass rather than wood for the indexing
pin and rivited it to the hacksaw blade, but wood should work fine.

Caution: Don't turn on the lathe while the indexing pin is engaged with the
indexing wheel.

These work great for occasional use.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Tony Wells
says...

Some help please. Whilst the Super Nova 2 chuck now has an indexing ring, my
original Super Nova hasn't, and I need one to achieve a series of equally
spaced holes around a bowl rim. The headstock design of my Draper lathe
prevents me from attaching anything to that, so has anyone fitted one
directly to the chuck or it's jaws please?

TIA

Tony Wells.

Mike Paulson

I use the disk behind the chuck method with either drilled holes, notches
in the rim, or visually aligning lines on the disk with a guide block
clamped to the lathe bed. To arrive at precise spacing of
holes/notches/lines, I either make something on the computer and glue the
printout to the disk, or I use the tape method. The tape method is down
and dirty but works amazingly well. I wrap a piece of masking tape around
the edge of the disk and cut it precisely so there is no overlap. Then I
peel the tape off the disk and lay it straight on the lathe bed. I
measure the total length (in millimeters for easy math), divide by the
number of divisions I want, make pencil marks on the tape, and wrap it
back around the disk. To transfer the divisions to the disk I line up the
tool rest to the center line and mark with a pencil. For one-time use I
skip making a disk and put the tape directly on the bowl or hollow form I
am working on. Works great.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Bill B

Mike Paulson wrote:
[...]

That's TOO easy! Thanks.

--
Bill Berglin

http://home.comcast.net/~bberg100

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown