Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave

Default metal bowl turning question

I saw on the DIY TV program today a demonstration of how to turn a metal
bowl out of aluminum. The program was "Woodturning Techniques".
I try to watch it every week. The guy is a real pro. Do any of you out there
know where I can purchase metal blanks for making these bowls? I believe
the blanks come in aluminum, pewter, and copper. Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Dave here's one link for you

http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/Onli...g/MetSpin.html

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Do you mean the shaped former that you press the metal around? If you
do mean the actual metal, wouldn't you simply start with a piece of
sheet metal of a suitable thickness and cut it to size. trim it up to
round when on teh lathe. You need to anneal the metal to soften it,
though I expect he covered this. If not, I'm sure you can turn up a
great number of sites on the web.
I remember making a bowl back in high school.
Safe turning,
Alan

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:45:33 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I saw on the DIY TV program today a demonstration of how to turn a metal
bowl out of aluminum. The program was "Woodturning Techniques".
I try to watch it every week. The guy is a real pro. Do any of you out there
know where I can purchase metal blanks for making these bowls? I believe
the blanks come in aluminum, pewter, and copper. Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Dave said:

I saw on the DIY TV program today a demonstration of how to turn a metal
bowl out of aluminum. The program was "Woodturning Techniques".
I try to watch it every week. The guy is a real pro. Do any of you out there
know where I can purchase metal blanks for making these bowls? I believe
the blanks come in aluminum, pewter, and copper. Thanks for your help.

Sure, try here. They sell brass, pewter, and copper disks.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...20blank&Page=1

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

I'm sure it was covered in the DIY piece, but it may be well to remind
anyone making shop made blanks that Al, Cu, pewter, brass, etc. flow,
anneal, work harden and even lube differently. Particularly from steel
sheet metal.

Leo or Alan or someone else can better explain.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Dave said:

I saw on the DIY TV program today a demonstration of how to turn a metal
bowl out of aluminum. The program was "Woodturning Techniques".
I try to watch it every week. The guy is a real pro. Do any of you out there
know where I can purchase metal blanks for making these bowls? I believe
the blanks come in aluminum, pewter, and copper. Thanks for your help.

Sure, try here. They sell brass, pewter, and copper disks.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...ARCH&txtSearch
=metal%20spinning%20blank&Page=1

That's acually "spinning", not turning. Although I expect that
spinning is what Dave actually wanted. I doubt many wood laths could
machine a block of aluminum into a bowl. Spinning a sheet is, well, much
easier.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Ralph E Lindberg said:

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Dave said:

I saw on the DIY TV program today a demonstration of how to turn a metal
bowl out of aluminum. The program was "Woodturning Techniques".
I try to watch it every week. The guy is a real pro. Do any of you out there
know where I can purchase metal blanks for making these bowls? I believe
the blanks come in aluminum, pewter, and copper. Thanks for your help.

Sure, try here. They sell brass, pewter, and copper disks.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...ARCH&txtSearch
=metal%20spinning%20blank&Page=1

That's acually "spinning", not turning. Although I expect that
spinning is what Dave actually wanted. I doubt many wood laths could
machine a block of aluminum into a bowl. Spinning a sheet is, well, much
easier.

You're right, I just assumed that spinning is what he really wanted.
I can't imagine trying to turn a solid block of aluminum on a wood
lathe. A CNC metal lathe, however, is another story.
Question is, who wants a 4 pound aluminum bowl?

I would like to try metal spinning one day, it looks pretty neat.
I don't, however, feel the need to spend $250+ _more_ on shaping
tools, HDMW mandrel blocks, and other such niceties, only to find that
my tiny lathe won't cut the mustard. :-\

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Actually you can turn metal, especialy bronze and softer metals but
even steel, even on my Mini jet. Obviously you can't turn the sizes of
wood that can be turned on the same lathe, but small sized pieces can
be.

Believe me, your HSS tools can cut steel (they are much stronger than
it - I found out by accidentally cutting my Talon chuck :-( ), and your
lathe is strong enough to turn it. Obviously there are more security
hazards, and doing metal free-form (as most wood lathes don't have a
slide rest) can be very hard - but doable. Also recomended is cutting
fluid (to cool the metal down). But I'm far from an expert on this
subject, so I won't recommend anything to you.

BTW metal spining does sound cool - I ordered Paul Wiley's book, and
will attempt it one day. From what I understand, it is also possible on
wood lathes, but again I'm no expert or even beginer on this one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian In Hampton

I cant find any info on how thick they are....I could cut them out on our
laser at work but wood like to know the thickness.........Brian
"Dave" wrote in message
I saw on the DIY TV program today a demonstration of how to turn a metal
bowl out of aluminum. The program was "Woodturning Techniques".
I try to watch it every week. The guy is a real pro. Do any of you out
there know where I can purchase metal blanks for making these bowls? I
believe the blanks come in aluminum, pewter, and copper. Thanks for your
help.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:07:08 -0500, "Brian In Hampton"
wrote:

I cant find any info on how thick they are....I could cut them out on our
laser at work but wood like to know the thickness.........Brian

Well, I'm no expert, but I saw the program on the DIY network, and
then a similar one on the Science channel a couple of days later, and
they were spinning big aluminum sauce pots with the same tools and
techniques out of pretty thick stock. (looked to be about 3/8", unless
the guy on the tv was just really little) I'd guess you can do it with
whatever thickness material you like, and just have to work harder at
pressing the thick stuff into shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stephen Selby

Metal spinning is normally done on metal of about 1mm thickness. Even that
is fairly hard. 3/8" would be next to impossible, I would guess.

Steve

wrote:

I cant find any info on how thick they are....I could cut them out on our
laser at work but wood like to know the thickness.........Brian

Well, I'm no expert, but I saw the program on the DIY network, and
then a similar one on the Science channel a couple of days later, and
they were spinning big aluminum sauce pots with the same tools and
techniques out of pretty thick stock. (looked to be about 3/8", unless
the guy on the tv was just really little) I'd guess you can do it with
whatever thickness material you like, and just have to work harder at
pressing the thick stuff into shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Terry

www.metalspinningworkshop.com
Pretty much all the info you need on the bbs forum for beginers and pros