Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about the 'Arch Pinch Penny' hollowing Tool'

Yep, it's another of my attempts to revolutionize woodturning and become
rich & famous (likely poor & infamous) without doing myself in. Anyway,
hope springs eternal and most of you will at least, have heard it first
here.

I ground a copy of Soren Berger's Viking hollowing tool from the catalog
pic this morning. Seems to be a sort of tiny hook. Whatever, the Viking
does work very well for end grain hollowing. I also broke a 3/8" twist
drill and being of Scottish descent, I couldn't throw it away. I
noticed the bit's vague kinship with Soren's Viking and a light came on.
Well, at least a small candle was lit!

Ground the cutting end of the broken drill bit into something roughly
resembling the Viking and fixed it in a handle. Began hollowing a NIP
end grain Berger kitchen cannister in which I had predrilled a 1" center
hole. Worked fairly well, but after grinding a few shapes and searching
for the sweet spots, I hit on a really good hollowing tool that's worth
more than the bit. I can't post a pic, but experimenting with various
shapes in making one was part of the fun and using my final best shape
was a kick. Try it, you might like it.
Experiment with your own variations of shape and presentation. Remember
to put a tiny arris on the front edge.

Of course, this is only for those who enjoy making things _for a lathe
as well as making things _on a lathe, so it offers no competition to
Soren's fine little hollowig tool. If someone should make an 'Arch Pinch
Penny' that works for him/her, please post a pic and comment pro & con.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about the 'Arch Pinch Penny' hollowing Tool'_Disclaimer_

I assume no responsibility for any injury to persons or equipment while
making or using a 'Pinch Penny'. Make and use at your own risk, and do
not sell the product. Take care to keep the exposed part of the tool
very short and limit to work on small vessels so as not to fracture a
brittle shaft. What a world we live in!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Arch
Did You actually go out and break a perfectly good drill bit to make
another hook tool ???????
Soren Berger You say, is that supposed to ring a bell, sorry I'm just
doing my own thing here.
Just Googled (not a word, it's now) Soren Berger and saw a few tools,
just the regular scrapers etc., nothing that looked like a drill bit.
So now where do we get that picture, so we all can become rich and
famous, or accompany you into the poor house ??

I don't know Arch but I think Scott's must be related to the Dutch.
Don't know if that's good or bad either.
As for those that want to jump off of the cliff, because someone else
did it, good luck, it,s a free world imo.
That or this has nothing to do with you Arch, but more with your second
post, it's just as someone else said, if you want to be stupid you
better be though.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

I can not see this being any kind of copyright violation. All Berger has
done is grind a hook tool in a piece or HSS.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Thanks Darrell,

As you surmised, I was just suggesting to Novice DIY turners a fun way
to practice grinding by using a broken drill bit to make a cheap &
useful small hollowing tool. I was a bit surprised that it worked as
well as it did, but the 'Pinch Penny' is no threat to the 'Berger
Viking' or the 'Feltmate Hook'.

You may remember that once I mentioned here re making a shop made Viking
copy. Soren even e'mailed some voluntary advice, although he didn't know
me and had never huckstered his N.Z. tools on rcw.

Hope you'll make & try my abortion if you ever break a drill bit.
There's no chance of it replacing your hook tool, but I value your
opinions and would like to know what you think.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Arch
things have been so busy at the church and with this doctorate program I
somehow got myself into that I have not been in the shop for a couple of
weeks except to stow some wood. That said, I must have an old drill bit
around somewhere to give that a try. I will let you know how it works out
for me.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate