Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob

Default Need taps for Jet 12x36 lathe.

I'd like to make wood faceplates and handwheels for my Jet 12x36. Does
anyone know where I can find taps that will mate to the spindle and
whatever you call the thing the handwheel will fit in to? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Barnett

"Bob" writes:

I'd like to make wood faceplates and handwheels for my Jet 12x36. Does
anyone know where I can find taps that will mate to the spindle and
whatever you call the thing the handwheel will fit in to? Thanks.

You can get the Bill Noble faceplates - they are essentially a nut
welded to a washer. $5 each (when you buy 5).

http://www.wbnoble.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Bob" wrote: I'd like to make wood faceplates and handwheels (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bruce's answer on faceplates is good. However, if you want to tap hardwood
blocks to made wasteblock faceplates, you will have to buy a 1" x 8 TPI tap.
Should be available from any machinist supply.

Here's the story on the handwheel: The thread in the outboard end of the
spindle is 12 TPI x 1/2" LH. Problem is, that is not a standard thread.
The standard pitch would be 13 TPI. Here is what I did. Bought a 3' length
of 1/2" 13 TPI LH (left hand) Allthread, and cut off a few inches. I turned
a wooden handwheel, and epoxied the threaded stub into it. The thread
starts to screw in, and then binds after a couple of turns. That works
okay, because I want the handwheel to be tight in the spindle.

BTW. I was also able to drill axially through the threaded handwheel shaft
and attach a vacuum line to my handwheel, for vacuum chucking.

Don't ask me what to do with the leftover 2 3/4 feet of Allthread. Do you
have a lot of friends with Jet 1236 lathes that you can share it with?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bob

I've got a link for the 1" tap here

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMPXNO=943626

They also have a left hand thread tap for 13 TPI not the 12 TPI you
need.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=325-4842

I could not find a die for left hand thread, your best bet is to use
the all thread like Leo L. used, or have a buddy cut some 12 TPI left
hand thread on a 1/2" bolt or shaft, no buddy like that and it gets
more expensive I'm afraid, but a machine shop could make one for you of
course.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum27.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) your best bet is to use the all
thread like Leo L. used, or have a buddy cut some 12 TPI left hand thread on
a 1/2" bolt or shaft,(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My point was that using the thread that is off slightly makes it
self-locking. That's an advantage. When you have lemons, make lemonade.
:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

of course, I'd like to sell you faceplates (go to www.wbnoble.com for
information) - however, to directly answer your question

drill a hole with a 7/8 drill (that will give you a hole that's about
25/32 hole ID - taper the first 1/8 inch so you can get it started,
wax the threads on your lathe with parafin and wind the wood block
onto the late as far as it goes, then take it off - repeat over and
over - each time you will be able to go about 1/2 turn farther -
you'll get a nice pressed thread that way - this will work on LH or RH
threads, of course.

Once you've done that for a while and can't stand it, you can buy my
faceplates..... :-)

bill n

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:36:03 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

[...]

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Czarczastic

I just ordered part #30965-2VGA from Harbor Freight. I'm not sure if it's
going to work for me, but for the $2.99 that it was on sale for, it was
worth the gamble. I'll let you know if it works out when I receive it in
about a week.

-Steven

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to make wood faceplates and handwheels for my Jet 12x36. Does
anyone know where I can find taps that will mate to the spindle and
whatever you call the thing the handwheel will fit in to? Thanks.

FS lathe + many accessories Mike S Woodworking 5 December 15th 04 12:59 AM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
New Mini Lathe Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 3 December 27th 03 02:19 AM
Harbor Freight Lathe rdspivey Woodturning 23 December 23rd 03 08:07 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM