Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default gloat

My friend Jeff knows this lady who is selling off her husbands shop - it's
been in storage for about 4 years and he won't be able to use them again.
Anyway, we went over there at lunch, because Jeff wanted me to see the
bandsaw - a 14" MW Jet, 3/4 hp motor has a date of 1984 on it. Looks good, a
bit of
rust, runs, a little noisy maybe (I'm not sure, having not used one much).
well, we got the bandsaw, 7 blades - assorted thickness?, and Jeff got a
nice looking dual wheel buffer on stand and a table top bench grinder -
looks only so-so but runs quiet - total price = $125. My share for the
bandsaw - $41.00

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

We sometimes have these sorts of situations when one of the members of
our AAW chapter dies. Many of us don't think it is fair to take
advantage of a widow (or widower) just because they don't really know
the value of things. We try to intervene and let them know that we will
be happy to help them establish a price which is fair to both them and
to the buyer. The starting point is somewhere around half the cost of
the same item new and we adjust from there based on age, wear, etc.

I would not be happy having ripped off the wife of a fellow turner. I'm
not saying you did but it sounds as if she could have done much better.

Bill

wrote:
My friend Jeff knows this lady who is selling off her husbands shop - it's
been in storage for about 4 years and he won't be able to use them again.
Anyway, we went over there at lunch, because Jeff wanted me to see the
bandsaw - a 14" MW Jet, 3/4 hp motor has a date of 1984 on it. Looks good, a
bit of
rust, runs, a little noisy maybe (I'm not sure, having not used one much).
well, we got the bandsaw, 7 blades - assorted thickness?, and Jeff got a
nice looking dual wheel buffer on stand and a table top bench grinder -
looks only so-so but runs quiet - total price = $125. My share for the
bandsaw - $41.00

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The lady and a friend of the husband, who is still alive, just no longer
able to do sculpture work, set the price. They asked what I thought it was
worth and I said I didn't know, because I haven't been looking for a
bandsaw. I wanted one, but really don't have the room and was going to wait
till I had a shed to put it in. I went along because Jeff is a friend. I
didn't know what it was like till I got there, and when they gave a price I
said yes. I didn't know the price of a new one until I checked online after
I got home. They are trying to clean out a rented garage bay of all of his
stuff - it has been sitting there for 4 years, unused, and some stuff was
damaged in last years hurricane. What they don't sell by wood of mouth in a
few weeks, they are going to offer for one lump price.

. com...

wrote:
My friend Jeff knows this lady who is selling off her husbands shop -
it's
been in storage for about 4 years and he won't be able to use them again.
Anyway, we went over there at lunch, because Jeff wanted me to see the
bandsaw - a 14" MW Jet, 3/4 hp motor has a date of 1984 on it. Looks
good, a bit of
rust, runs, a little noisy maybe (I'm not sure, having not used one
much).
well, we got the bandsaw, 7 blades - assorted thickness?, and Jeff got a
nice looking dual wheel buffer on stand and a table top bench grinder -
looks only so-so but runs quiet - total price = $125. My share for the
bandsaw - $41.00

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian C

What they don't sell by wood of mouth in a
few weeks, they are going to offer for one lump price.

Was that a slip of the keyboard? "R" is on the OTHER hand. GRINS!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bikerb422

Since you are talking Hurricane damage, I am in an area that has had it
also. Could you or will you give me the area that she is selling this
stuff at? I would like to see what she has left.

Thanks,
Bruce