Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Amateur Turning - Segmented Pot

For anyone who cares to look at an amateur's work...

A Segmented Pot
African Mahogany and Black Walnut with Maple details.
5 1/2" O.D. - 4" Height

African Mahogany is soft and tears out very easily - especially in
contrast to the relatively hard walnut, which also tears out easily.
Hollowing this mess was a real adventure...

Recent thread on "Shapes" comes to mind in trying to determine what a
piece should look like while turning. This is one slightly deformed
example.

It's a skill I have yet to master, but I have noticed that (for me) it
is imperative to have a clean, neutral wall behind the lathe in order
to fully access the shape while in process. Perhaps I'll have one...
one day...

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ntedPot11l.jpg

My next to last turning - A Segmented Bowl
Soft Maple, Black Walnut, Makore, Hard Maple

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedBowl05l.jpg

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Greg wrote:

It's a skill I have yet to master, but I have noticed that (for me) it
is imperative to have a clean, neutral wall behind the lathe in order
to fully access the shape while in process. Perhaps I'll have one...
one day...

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ntedPot11l.jpg

My next to last turning - A Segmented Bowl
Soft Maple, Black Walnut, Makore, Hard Maple

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedBowl05l.jpg

FWIW,

Very Nice, George! You've done partucularly well with the contrast and
the placement and choice of the segments.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Lobby Dosser said:

Very Nice, George! You've done partucularly well with the contrast and
the placement and choice of the segments.

Well, I'm sure George appreciates that, although I've never noticed
him mentioning that he does segmented turnings.
But how about my stuff? ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Greg wrote:

Lobby Dosser said:

Very Nice, George! You've done partucularly well with the contrast and
the placement and choice of the segments.

Well, I'm sure George appreciates that, although I've never noticed
him mentioning that he does segmented turnings.
But how about my stuff? ;-)

Greg G.

WHAP! Yeah, your stuff was pretty good.

Gee my spelling also took a hit. Sigh.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Lobby you smoking something ?????
~~~~
Or is it "what the hearth's full of, the mouth runneth over" ??? GG

^

"""
HiHiHi

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Lobby Dosser said:

Greg wrote:

Lobby Dosser said:

Very Nice, George! You've done partucularly well with the contrast and
the placement and choice of the segments.

Well, I'm sure George appreciates that, although I've never noticed
him mentioning that he does segmented turnings.
But how about my stuff? ;-)

Greg G.

WHAP! Yeah, your stuff was pretty good.

Gee my spelling also took a hit. Sigh.

That's OK. I have days like that.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Greg,
Cool work, buddy. Got a Forrest blade at the woodworking show this past
weekend. Supposed to be such a clean cut I thought it might help me doing
some segmented stuff.

In the walnut section are those thin slices of alternating material? I'm
going to ask more details later so I can give it a try.

Again, nice work. Thanks for sharing.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Tom Nie said:

Greg,
Cool work, buddy. Got a Forrest blade at the woodworking show this past
weekend. Supposed to be such a clean cut I thought it might help me doing
some segmented stuff.

In the walnut section are those thin slices of alternating material? I'm
going to ask more details later so I can give it a try.

Again, nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Tom,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but my time on Usenet has been
limited to a few two line blurbs for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the compliments!
Although many suggest otherwise, I have been getting good cuts with a
WWII blade and my Segment Jig (DAGS) on a relatively new factory
re-furb Unisaw that I tweaked-up. I have not had to sand the
individual segments (ala Curt Theobald), only the rings. The joints
are tight, but I am careful/methodical in cutting them.

Yes, in the feature ring of the bowl, there are alternating thin
segments of maple, makore, and maple - as well as rings above and
below. This picture may show the detail better:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ntedBowl06.jpg

Thanks Again,

Greg G.