Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Amateur Turning - Segmented Pot

For anyone who cares to look at an amateur's work...

A Segmented Pot
African Mahogany and Black Walnut with Maple details.
5 1/2" O.D. - 4" Height

African Mahogany is soft and tears out very easily - especially in
contrast to the relatively hard walnut, which also tears out easily.
Hollowing this mess was a real adventure...

Recent thread on "Shapes" comes to mind in trying to determine what a
piece should look like while turning. This is one slightly deformed
example.

It's a skill I have yet to master, but I have noticed that (for me) it
is imperative to have a clean, neutral wall behind the lathe in order
to fully access the shape while in process. Perhaps I'll have one...
one day...

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ntedPot11l.jpg

My next to last turning - A Segmented Bowl
Soft Maple, Black Walnut, Makore, Hard Maple

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedBowl05l.jpg

FWIW,

Greg G.