Posted to alt.binaries.crafts.pictures,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Andy

Default homemade drum making

I was interested in ashiko drums making,(Ghana)west africa as hobby only,and
wonder if and what are some simple steps,I am in a farley limited market
area in north central Sask. Canada so exotic woods are out until maybe I
know what I'm doing.Any help or basic tips greatly appreciated
Thanks

Posted to alt.binaries.crafts.pictures,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
BILLY GURLEY

I have a book on the subject..Let me look it up, And I will scan the pages
and send them via email.

--
Billy Gurley
Home PC Repair

\
"Andy" wrote in message
I was interested in ashiko drums making,(Ghana)west africa as hobby
only,and wonder if and what are some simple steps,I am in a farley limited
market area in north central Sask. Canada so exotic woods are out until
maybe I know what I'm doing.Any help or basic tips greatly appreciated
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
I was interested in ashiko drums making,(Ghana)west africa as hobby only,and
wonder if and what are some simple steps,I am in a farley limited market
area in north central Sask. Canada so exotic woods are out until maybe I
know what I'm doing.Any help or basic tips greatly appreciated
Thanks

any fairly hard dense wood will make a decent sounding drum. use what
is local to you- elk hide and maple, perhaps?

Posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Larry

aaniin. though mine are mostly decorative, i make drums using birch bark
with deer/moose leather stretched over. i have tried several materials to
secure the leather, but find deer/moose lacing is simplest and works if drum
will only be decorative, and sinew if the drum will be played occasionally.
i have used spruce root on a couple that were specially ordered, but that is
very time consuming and laborious, too much so for anything other than
special custom order.
also, when i was cutting cedar trees for posts, the butt end on some was
hollow due to dry-rot and i've made a number of drums from it. they are very
popular, especially as decorative, and besides painting on the leather, i
had a friend do carving on some of them and they are very well liked.
i have attempted making laminated drums, but it didn't interest me enough to
spend the time required.
although NA native drums are not what you were looking for, i hope this
gives you some ideas. the cost for my material is rather minimal, and if
nothing else provides a cost-effective way to experiment.
if you are interested but don't no when/how to gather birch bark, email me
and i'll explain.
have fun! once you've experienced making one or two and create a style,
thenthe creativity will flow!
cheers, larry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy wrote:
I was interested in ashiko drums making,(Ghana)west africa as hobby
only,and
wonder if and what are some simple steps,I am in a farley limited market
area in north central Sask. Canada so exotic woods are out until maybe I
know what I'm doing.Any help or basic tips greatly appreciated
Thanks

any fairly hard dense wood will make a decent sounding drum. use what
is local to you- elk hide and maple, perhaps?

Posted to alt.binaries.crafts.pictures,rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Bernie Bober

Hi Andy,

There is a book I found recently called " Making Drums" by Dennis Waring.
It seemed like a great book with detailed pictures etc. and covered most
drums. Where about are you located in Sask? I am in Hudson Bay and am
going to make a Dj'embe' hopefully this year. I'm going to make one about
14 to 16 inches in diameter at the large end and most likely about 24 inches
tall. I'd be interested in chatting with you about drum making.

Bernie.