Posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Larry

Default homemade drum making

aaniin. though mine are mostly decorative, i make drums using birch bark
with deer/moose leather stretched over. i have tried several materials to
secure the leather, but find deer/moose lacing is simplest and works if drum
will only be decorative, and sinew if the drum will be played occasionally.
i have used spruce root on a couple that were specially ordered, but that is
very time consuming and laborious, too much so for anything other than
special custom order.
also, when i was cutting cedar trees for posts, the butt end on some was
hollow due to dry-rot and i've made a number of drums from it. they are very
popular, especially as decorative, and besides painting on the leather, i
had a friend do carving on some of them and they are very well liked.
i have attempted making laminated drums, but it didn't interest me enough to
spend the time required.
although NA native drums are not what you were looking for, i hope this
gives you some ideas. the cost for my material is rather minimal, and if
nothing else provides a cost-effective way to experiment.
if you are interested but don't no when/how to gather birch bark, email me
and i'll explain.
have fun! once you've experienced making one or two and create a style,
thenthe creativity will flow!
cheers, larry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy wrote:
I was interested in ashiko drums making,(Ghana)west africa as hobby
only,and
wonder if and what are some simple steps,I am in a farley limited market
area in north central Sask. Canada so exotic woods are out until maybe I
know what I'm doing.Any help or basic tips greatly appreciated
Thanks

any fairly hard dense wood will make a decent sounding drum. use what
is local to you- elk hide and maple, perhaps?