Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Outboard tail center; useful? useless? impractical? impossible?

I like to keep a supportive center post or an extendable narrow tail
spindle as long as possible when turning tall vessels, but I also like
to hollow them with the headstock swivelled.

Is it feasible to have both? If so, have any of you thought about or
cobbled up a tail center that's outboarded from the tailstock or lathe
bed to support a swivelled blank? Perhaps a fixed #2MT on some sort of
adjustable shaft with the same curve as the rotating headstock or an
adjustable MT on a straight shaft?

Any ideas or suggestions? If not, I'll go quietly.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike

Arch wrote:
I like to keep a supportive center post or an extendable narrow tail
spindle as long as possible when turning tall vessels, but I also like
to hollow them with the headstock swivelled.

Is it feasible to have both? If so, have any of you thought about or
cobbled up a tail center that's outboarded from the tailstock or lathe
bed to support a swivelled blank? Perhaps a fixed #2MT on some sort of
adjustable shaft with the same curve as the rotating headstock or an
adjustable MT on a straight shaft?

Any ideas or suggestions? If not, I'll go quietly.

I think to have a usable tailstock it has to be attached somehow to the
headstock, if not it could wonder all over the place not providing any real
support. By attached it could be via gravity - but it's have to be really
heavy - it has to stay aligned with the headstock! No matter what!

But if you have a tall item you want to hollow, unless it is too large for the
swing of the lathe, turn the outside first using the tailstock (on the lathe)
then when you swivel the headstock to hollow you don't want the TS in the way,
but you do need a good (heavy, unmovable) tool rest.

Just my ideas

mike
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) Is it feasible to have both? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Build a steady rest which is capable of being hung out in front of the ways.
Then, your procedure will be:
1.) Turn the outside of the vessel on axis, using the tail stock for
support.
2.) Do your initial hollowing on axis, using a Forstner bit supported in
the tailstock.
3.) Remove the tailstock, and swing the headstock to a convenient angle for
hollowing.
4.) Apply the cantilevered steady rest to support the bowl in its off-axis
position, and complete the inside.