Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Marc

Default Grizzley 20" x 42" lathe

Any thoughts or expirience with grizzley
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Earl

Not sure which lathe you are referring to but I had the G1495 and it
was terrible. Motor never lined up with the spindle pulley, the sheet
metal vibrated and made noise, the tool rest broke, the Reeves drive
kept getting stuck. Grizzly makes many good tools, but this lathe is
not one of them. Can't say about the others.
Earl

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Marc" wrote in message
4...
Any thoughts or expirience with grizzley

Had a lot of problems with castings at the school. The size of the iron
crystals was so large, I think they may take them from the foundry and toss
'em in cold water. I've heard a lot of people describe them as a "kit" on
arrival, rather than a tool.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article . com,
"Earl" wrote:

Not sure which lathe you are referring to but I had the G1495 ..

They have a new lathe, rather a monster see
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/109

Since most outlets don't even have one yet, it's hard telling, but it
does have promise.

The rub might be the 1-1/2x8 headstock

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Barnett

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

The rub might be the 1-1/2x8 headstock

Or the 500 RPM minimum speed.

I get nervous roughing out a 12" bowl at 500 RPM, let alone a 20" to
24" bowl.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DJ Delorie

My 1067Z has worked fine for years. I've added a supernova chuck,
oneway live center, best toolrests, and a bunch of chisels to the mix.
Also put 300lbs of marble chips on the lower shelf to give the base
some mass. It runs smoothly and will turn anything I can fit on it.
The 1x12 spindle is nonstandard, but it's only annoying when I bring
my stuff to the craft fair - I end up swapping out the supernova
adapter sometimes.

I have snapped the toolrest *extension* twice, but I think it's just
poor design and I never use it anyway.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/106

In general, I've been satisfied with Grizzly's big tools, considering
they're inexpensive compared to other brands. I've got their lathe,
table saw, two jointers, portable planer, dust collector, dust filter,
and small combo sander.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 3 Jan 2006 15:34:04 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

The rub might be the 1-1/2x8 headstock

Or the 500 RPM minimum speed.

I get nervous roughing out a 12" bowl at 500 RPM, let alone a 20" to
24" bowl.

yep.. especially as you move closer to the outside edge and it seems to be going
about 1,000 rpm...

I'd love to turn on something that had a low speed of maybe 100 rpm..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I bought my G0584 lathe from Gizzly in Feb. its a great buy and a good
lathe. I have had three problems with the lathe all which I consider no
big deal.

1. The first one to my door was damaged in shipping....no matter what
if you see it damaged at all reject the shipment. That is what customer
service told me to do and it was much easier than the other options.

2. The second one was great but the tool rest broke at the T. No I
wouldnt say for sure it was defective or my own fault, but grizzly sent
me a new one very quickly for free.

3. It will use up its belt if you catch to much or do other amature
things you will wear out the belt. I bought a couple extra belts and
have only used the one I bought to replace the original belt.

I have a stronghold chuck and several face plates plus it comes with a
face plate. You can find chucks, face plates and adaptors easily on
the web.

I made one adjustment to my lathe.....weight.....I cut two pieces of
angle iron and 1 piece of 3/4" plywood.....there are tabs on the legs
that fit perfect for a shelf....3 bags of 70lb. sand bags and this is
one seriously solid lathe.

Thats my $.02 and you can check out its work on my
site....shavedwood.com

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

BTW - I saw this one in the showroom in MO.....its really nice for
about the same money as mine....lots more power

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0462

Rob - shavedwood.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
RonB

Any thoughts or expirience with grizzley

Generally I have had very good experiences with Grizzly equipment and
support. However I did not buy my lathe from them.

RonB

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

The rub might be the 1-1/2x8 headstock

Or the 500 RPM minimum speed.

I get nervous roughing out a 12" bowl at 500 RPM, let alone a 20" to
24" bowl.

yep.. especially as you move closer to the outside edge and it seems
to be going about 1,000 rpm...

I'd love to turn on something that had a low speed of maybe 100 rpm..

Don't you have a Shopsmith? You can get the speed reducer pretty cheap on
e-bay now and then.
LD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

I think that a 500 rpm minimum, 20" swing lathe is an accident waiting
to happen. Just my 0.02.

Bill

Bruce Barnett wrote:
Ralph E Lindberg writes:

The rub might be the 1-1/2x8 headstock

Or the 500 RPM minimum speed.

I get nervous roughing out a 12" bowl at 500 RPM, let alone a 20" to
24" bowl.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

They have a new lathe, rather a monster see
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/109

Since most outlets don't even have one yet, it's hard telling, but it
does have promise.

The rub might be the 1-1/2x8 headstock

Don't grab for the handwheel!

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

wrote:

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

The rub might be the 1-1/2x8 headstock

Or the 500 RPM minimum speed.

I get nervous roughing out a 12" bowl at 500 RPM, let alone a 20" to
24" bowl.

yep.. especially as you move closer to the outside edge and it seems
to be going about 1,000 rpm...

I'd love to turn on something that had a low speed of maybe 100 rpm..

Don't you have a Shopsmith? You can get the speed reducer pretty cheap on
e-bay now and then.
LD

yeah... but then I'd have to go back to turning on it.. *g*

Sort of defeat the purchase of the Jet Mini and then the Jet 1442 last year...

Might look into a different motor or a speed control for the 1442 when the
warranty runs out, though..