Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default FS - faceplates

ok, for all you guys who got nice shiny lathes for Christmas, or any
other excuse - when you are ready to consider faceplates, (or a vacuum
chuck), feel free to visit my web site, www.wbnoble.com and look
around.
Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote
in message ...
ok, for all you guys who got nice shiny lathes for Christmas, or any
other excuse - when you are ready to consider faceplates, (or a vacuum
chuck), feel free to visit my web site, www.wbnoble.com and look
around.
Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Bill, I don't see them on your website but...........can you make faceplates
to use on a shopsmith? They are 5/8" smoothbore with allen setscrew. Just
figured it didn't hurt to ask.
Thanks Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

yes, I can make them, the real question is, can I make them cheap
enough to be attrative?? I have the right tubing and washers, but I
don't have a handy shopsmith to test them on. So, time for some
thinking - I can do a couple of things, it seems:

1. make an adapter for shopsmith to 1"X8TPI, and then you can use my
standard faceplates (I can also make an adapter to 1.24X8TPI, but
that's pretty big for a shopsmith). The advantage is that you could
use all sorts of accessories that will fit a Jet or any other
mini/midi lathe and quit worrying about special shopsmith stuff - I'm
guessing I could make these for somewhere between $15 and $30, and
then you could get the cheap faceplates.

2. I can make faceplates for the shopsmith, but I'm guessing that they
would cost at least $15 - is that competitive?

your thoughts please? My goal here is to make good quality
inexpensive stuff that saves turners $$$$ - so I tend to not go after
stuff that is already available at

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:44:01 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

[...]

There is a smooth bore 5/8" to 1"x8 adapter available from the Wooden Post
http://www.woodenpost.com/products/lathe_accessories.htm for $17. I have
one and it seems OK. Made in China, of course. If you had one available at
the time I bought this, I would have bought from you even if the price was
greater by 50%. So, I'd say $15-$25 would certainly be competitive for the
adapter.

Shopsmith sells two faceplates: a 3" for $16 and a 6" for $19. So your
purposes made faceplates for the Shopsmith would also be competitive. I
don't know of anyone else selling faceplates for 5/8" smooth.

Sorry for butting in, but hope this helps.

LD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:15:22 -0800, "William B Noble (don't reply to this
address)" wrote:

Bill... it's a 5/8" shaft with a flat for a set screw... I KNOW that you've got
something in your shop that would work...
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/i...tm?item=505590

interesting sale on this page... reg. 10.79 and on sale for $15.97...

wrote:

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

Bill, Thanks for getting back to me. I may look around for a couple of used
faceplates or buy new ones from shopsmith. I hate to see you tool up for one
customer. My thinking was that maybe you were set up for it.......but didn't
get enough requests to devote webpage space to it. I see used faceplates go
for more than new on ebay G. I have kicked around the idea of a shaft adt.
(they are readily available from a guy on the shopsmith 10er
usersgroup-yahoo). If I decide to go this route I will place an order with
you. Thanks very much.
Lyndell

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

wrote:

[...]

You talked me into it. I think this is the way to go. If a couple of
faceplates was the only thing It might make sense to go to shopsmith. I can
buy five from Bill for what I will pay @ SS. Then I have to buy the adt. but
I will have five faceplates instead of two.
Thanks Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

[...]

Good!! Bill gets a sale, Wooden Post gets a sale - small outfit and good
folks to deal with, and you get your dollars stretched.

I've got nothing against Shopsmith, they're pretty good folks too, but
their pricing leaves a Lot to be desired.

LD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 21:17:10 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

Bill, Thanks for getting back to me. I may look around for a couple of used
faceplates or buy new ones from shopsmith. I hate to see you tool up for one
customer. My thinking was that maybe you were set up for it.......but didn't
get enough requests to devote webpage space to it. I see used faceplates go
for more than new on ebay G. I have kicked around the idea of a shaft adt.
(they are readily available from a guy on the shopsmith 10er
usersgroup-yahoo). If I decide to go this route I will place an order with
you. Thanks very much.
Lyndell

Lee Valley has them, too...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49238&ap=1

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

Bill, Thanks for getting back to me. I may look around for a couple of used
faceplates or buy new ones from shopsmith. I hate to see you tool up for one
customer. My thinking was that maybe you were set up for it.......but didn't
get enough requests to devote webpage space to it. I see used faceplates go
for more than new on ebay G. I have kicked around the idea of a shaft adt.
(they are readily available from a guy on the shopsmith 10er
usersgroup-yahoo). If I decide to go this route I will place an order with
you. Thanks very much.
Lyndell

I actually have all the stuff to make these adapters, so in my "spare
time", I'll see what I can do - my real concern is one of tolerances -
if I do the simple thing and use some thickwalled 5/8 tubing that I
had picked up for this purpose, there is a chance that it won't fit
right - I don't have a shopsmith in my garage to try it on (but maybe
I can find someone locally with one) - the thing itself seems simple
enough, just thread the OD and drill and tap a set screw hole, maybe
add something to form a shoulder for the faceplates, etc to seat
against.

Right now, I'm busy trying to set up a Sweedish milling machine I
bought - I've got the electrical part working using a simple static
converter (once the 6 hp spindle motor starts, everything seems fine),
then to level it, then .... My theory is that if you can work in your
garage you don't have too many tools - but it's very easy to find you
don't have enough time.

so much for musings on the new year.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

occasional post reminding the group that I sell faceplates, and some vac pumps william_b_noble Woodturning 4 November 14th 05 06:33 PM
Faceplates - blatant advertizement william_b_noble Woodturning 0 October 15th 04 05:49 AM
faceplates and vacuum pumps william_b_noble Woodturning 0 October 19th 03 07:24 PM
Faceplates Lewis Dodd Woodturning 3 October 5th 03 05:15 AM
vacuum pumps and inexpensive faceplates william_b_noble Woodturning 1 September 4th 03 09:43 PM