Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default FS - faceplates

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)"
wrote:

yes, I can make them, the real question is, can I make them cheap
enough to be attrative?? I have the right tubing and washers, but I
don't have a handy shopsmith to test them on. So, time for some
thinking - I can do a couple of things, it seems:

1. make an adapter for shopsmith to 1"X8TPI, and then you can use my
standard faceplates (I can also make an adapter to 1.24X8TPI, but
that's pretty big for a shopsmith). The advantage is that you could
use all sorts of accessories that will fit a Jet or any other
mini/midi lathe and quit worrying about special shopsmith stuff - I'm
guessing I could make these for somewhere between $15 and $30, and
then you could get the cheap faceplates.

2. I can make faceplates for the shopsmith, but I'm guessing that they
would cost at least $15 - is that competitive?

your thoughts please? My goal here is to make good quality
inexpensive stuff that saves turners $$$$ - so I tend to not go after
stuff that is already available at

There is a smooth bore 5/8" to 1"x8 adapter available from the Wooden Post
http://www.woodenpost.com/products/lathe_accessories.htm for $17. I have
one and it seems OK. Made in China, of course. If you had one available at
the time I bought this, I would have bought from you even if the price was
greater by 50%. So, I'd say $15-$25 would certainly be competitive for the
adapter.

Shopsmith sells two faceplates: a 3" for $16 and a 6" for $19. So your
purposes made faceplates for the Shopsmith would also be competitive. I
don't know of anyone else selling faceplates for 5/8" smooth.

Sorry for butting in, but hope this helps.

LD