Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default FS - faceplates

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:aGLtf.4993$uv.1521@trnddc06...
"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)"
wrote:

yes, I can make them, the real question is, can I make them cheap
enough to be attrative?? I have the right tubing and washers, but I
don't have a handy shopsmith to test them on. So, time for some
thinking - I can do a couple of things, it seems:

1. make an adapter for shopsmith to 1"X8TPI, and then you can use
my standard faceplates (I can also make an adapter to 1.24X8TPI, but
that's pretty big for a shopsmith). The advantage is that you could
use all sorts of accessories that will fit a Jet or any other
mini/midi lathe and quit worrying about special shopsmith stuff -
I'm guessing I could make these for somewhere between $15 and $30,
and then you could get the cheap faceplates.

2. I can make faceplates for the shopsmith, but I'm guessing that
they would cost at least $15 - is that competitive?

your thoughts please? My goal here is to make good quality
inexpensive stuff that saves turners $$$$ - so I tend to not go
after stuff that is already available at

There is a smooth bore 5/8" to 1"x8 adapter available from the Wooden
Post http://www.woodenpost.com/products/lathe_accessories.htm for
$17. I have one and it seems OK. Made in China, of course. If you had
one available at the time I bought this, I would have bought from you
even if the price was greater by 50%. So, I'd say $15-$25 would
certainly be competitive for the adapter.

Shopsmith sells two faceplates: a 3" for $16 and a 6" for $19. So
your purposes made faceplates for the Shopsmith would also be
competitive. I don't know of anyone else selling faceplates for 5/8"
smooth.

Sorry for butting in, but hope this helps.

LD

You talked me into it. I think this is the way to go. If a couple of
faceplates was the only thing It might make sense to go to shopsmith.
I can buy five from Bill for what I will pay @ SS. Then I have to buy
the adt. but I will have five faceplates instead of two.
Thanks Lyndell

Good!! Bill gets a sale, Wooden Post gets a sale - small outfit and good
folks to deal with, and you get your dollars stretched.

I've got nothing against Shopsmith, they're pretty good folks too, but
their pricing leaves a Lot to be desired.

LD