Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Stone

Default Cleaning a Talon chuck?

My Talon chuck is getting "sticky" when trying to open or close the jaws.
The Oneway manual says to soak the chuck briefly in mineral spirits along
with "about 10% oil" and then blow it dry.

I'm wondering- what kind of oil? The manual doesn't specify.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Stone

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

I imagine just about any oil would work but I just blow the dust out without
any oil or soaking. I don't need to do it very often at all and I would
think that an oil film might make the dust attraction worse.
billh

"Mike Stone" wrote in message
My Talon chuck is getting "sticky" when trying to open or close the jaws.
The Oneway manual says to soak the chuck briefly in mineral spirits along
with "about 10% oil" and then blow it dry.

I'm wondering- what kind of oil? The manual doesn't specify.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Stone

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article L9Okf.3247$Yh2.1920@trndny01,
"Mike Stone" wrote:

I'm wondering- what kind of oil? The manual doesn't specify.

I use a light machine oil - like "3 in 1" or "Zoom-Spout" turbine oil -
not to be confused with turban oil - both have worked just fine as far
as I can tell.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

billh wrote:
I imagine just about any oil would work but I just blow the dust out without
any oil or soaking. I don't need to do it very often at all and I would
think that an oil film might make the dust attraction worse.

I use graphite.

regular chuck cleaning can make it much nicer to work with:
http://seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToo...enance_09.html

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 03:07:23 GMT, "Mike Stone"
wrote:

My Talon chuck is getting "sticky" when trying to open or close the jaws.
The Oneway manual says to soak the chuck briefly in mineral spirits along
with "about 10% oil" and then blow it dry.

I'm wondering- what kind of oil? The manual doesn't specify.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Stone

I cleaned mine on it's 1 year anniversary...

All it needed was brushing and a few spots of dried finish from bowls scraped
off with a wood scraper...

I sprayed all the parts with dry lube and put it back together... works like
new, just like it always has..
It's a pretty bullet proof chuck, as long as you don't force it open and break
the stop pin.. DAMHIKT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Talon chuck Bill Gooch Woodturning 30 November 13th 05 04:56 PM
My lathe's spindle is too long for my new chuck phi117 Woodturning 19 July 3rd 05 03:07 AM
Teknatool Titan Chuck draft review Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 1 January 12th 04 05:07 PM