Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default web page update

I just added a page to my web site under the projects section on turning a
pierced ornament.
http://aroundthewoods.com/laceorn.shtml
Comments are appreciated.

ps. I know I have to update the sharpening page. One of these days...

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Darrell,

Enjoyed the whole page and process. The last picture is out of focus with
distracting shadow. Did you get the roughness out of the piercings at the
end?

Thanks for posting.
TomNie

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I just added a page to my web site under the projects section on turning a
pierced ornament.
http://aroundthewoods.com/laceorn.shtml
Comments are appreciated.

ps. I know I have to update the sharpening page. One of these days...

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
WillR

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I just added a page to my web site under the projects section on turning a
pierced ornament.
http://aroundthewoods.com/laceorn.shtml
Comments are appreciated.

ps. I know I have to update the sharpening page. One of these days...

Nice work as usual.

Will try one for Christmas.

We just moved to a new house with a wooded ravine. A large branch
dropped from a hardwood tree (ash or bitternut hickory -- not sure which
yet -- leaves and bark are too similar for me to differentiate) -- looks
like a good use for some pieces of it. :-)

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Tom
thanks. I will get a better picture of the ornament. That last one was late
at night and hand held instead of the tripod. I got a lot of the roughness
out of the piercings and may spend the time with needle files to finish the
clean up.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I just added a page to my web site under the projects section on turning a
pierced ornament.
http://aroundthewoods.com/laceorn.shtml
Comments are appreciated.

ps. I know I have to update the sharpening page. One of these days...

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

==========================
Darrell,
Great project, as usual! For a little more "How did he do that?" effect, you
can do an internal axis spindle. If you do it from the same stock as the
main body, then it looks like all of it was turned from a solid block, and
will cause most people to scratch their head for a while. To do this, drill
the bottom of the finial to accept the internal spindle, then attach the
spindle into the lower "icecicle" prior to inserting through the ornament
into the finial which is already glued onto the top. You might need to
enlarge the piercings a little to help with this effect. Unfortunately, not
my original idea ....... saw it a few years back.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Thanks Ken. Of course for your suggestion I need to want to sit for a couple
of hours of piercing again. Turning is a lot more fun. On the other hand, if
I turned the form to 1/16 or less first the piercing would be a lot
quicker.....

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Thanks Ken. Of course for your suggestion I need to want to sit for a
couple
of hours of piercing again. Turning is a lot more fun. On the other hand,
if
I turned the form to 1/16 or less first the piercing would be a lot
quicker.....

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

==============================
What are you using for the piercing? If it's a Dremel type (max 30,000 RPM),
then you should look around for a used dental air turbine. They're the same
basic device as some of the name brand wood piercing tools, but cheaper, and
so much faster than the Dremel, plus it cuts cleaner. Depending on model and
air pressure, you can get up into the 500,000 RPM range, so you can get 10
cuts during the same time as the Dremel cuts once. Really reduces sanding
time.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Ken,
Just where did you find something like that??

TomNie

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Ken,
Just where did you find something like that??

TomNie

================
Tom,
The high speed drills (handpieces) that your dentist uses are air driven
turbines (at least the newer ones are; some may still use a mechanical drive
in the under 50K RPM range). The air drives usually use a smaller diameter
burr than the Dremel types, and have less torque, but that is an advantage
since there is less reaction to the initial touch of the tool to the wood
surface. This allows better control and less tendency to "skate" across the
wood surface. Dental units can be worn to the point where they are no longer
usable by dentists, but can still used on wood. Dental supply outlets also
can furnish complete hand pieces or replacement turbines, or rebuilt units.
Google "dental hand pieces", or check your local yellow pages under dental
supplies.

Ken Moon
Weberville, TX.
"Ken Moon" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

Radiator Cover Page in progress Brian Siano Woodworking 2 July 9th 05 02:32 PM
Page update steamer Metalworking 2 February 10th 05 12:59 AM
Another Web Page Collection of Fine Wood Turnings Quick Turnings Woodturning 8 January 5th 05 09:37 AM
Web site update Rob Stokes Woodworking 2 November 25th 03 04:03 PM
OT - WEBPAGE UPDATE T. Woodworking 4 November 18th 03 11:06 PM