Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Brad Mularcik

Default Burl for chess pieces

I am planning to make a chess set for my son. I am a pretty decent
(IMHO) turner both for bowls, and for repetitive spindle turning.

I am thinking of buying maple burl cap from Exoticburl.com for the
"white" pieces. I am thinking of getting some mesquite eye burl for the
"black" pieces. I am planning to use birdseye maple for the while squares,
and crotch walnut for the dark squares. I also have some cherry burl that I
can have sawn into 2x2 square stock for the dark pieces. I am considering
that as well.

I am planning on making a chess set that is not very intricate, but I am
concerned that the burl will be hard to turn any detail into. I obviously
will select burl pieces with little to no inclusions. I have turned some of
both of the above mentioned words, but for bowls, nothing else.

Any input is welcome

Thanks,
Brad Mularcik