Prometheus

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 06:49:16 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:54:16 GMT, "Brad Mularcik"
wrote:

Couldn't tell you much about
Maple burl (I've been looking and looking for it, but they're not that
common in my stomping grounds) but if it's anything like other figured
maple, it'll turn nicely and take as much detail as you care to put
into it. Both woods are hard, and have good tight interlocking grain.
They polish to similar glassy shines even without a finish, too.
Good choices for a set!

Hard maple doesn't go much to burl. Most of what is out there commercially
is from the left coast broadleaf. Think I've had maybe three maple burls
delivered in twenty years, and I live in the midst of loggers. There's a
4x6-footer just off the right-of-way as I head south to the grocery store,
but I have this thing about private land.

Yep. I wonder how those snaky-looking welts on the trunks of red
maple turns, though. Seems like there'd have to be *something* of
interest in the grain under those, but I hate to cut down a perfectly
healthy tree just to find out.