George

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Yep. I wonder how those snaky-looking welts on the trunks of red
maple turns, though. Seems like there'd have to be *something* of
interest in the grain under those, but I hate to cut down a perfectly
healthy tree just to find out.

They have to be of some vintage before you can turn 'em. Normally those
come from injury to the tree, and it takes time for them to close over. If
you're lucky, you can get either a fully healed to turn as bottom to show
wild grain, or open but healing turned up. The problem with the open one is
you have to be able to turn down to sound wood and still preserve your
unusual "rim." They, and birch blisters make beautiful work.