charlie b

Default Stop Me Before I Turn Again!

I've got a loose tenoned, arched topped, 6 panel gate that's
a third done and a small table that's 75 percent done
waiting for glue up - and I can't seem to get back to them.
I keep cleaning up around the JET VS Midi Lathe and I
put the tools away so I can move the lathe off my bench
so I can get back to my "real" projects.

But then I happen on a piece of scrap wood that I could
try some eccentric turning, or maybe try some delicate
stuff on. Hmmm - mahogany is great to work with
using hand tools . . . Here's a block of box wood that
carves really nicely. . . Padouk smells good and looks
even better when finished . . . There's a few pieces
of claro walnut that cuts like butter with a good edge
on a chisel or plane . . .

The lathe stays on the bench, the gouge, skew and
Spindle Master come out and a new pile of small
chips begin to pile up. Shapes begin appearing and
being refined. The "real" projects are begging for
some attention.

Somebody - stop me before I turn again! Or at
least give me some tips on tapering off so I can
get the other stuff done - please.

charlie b
George

"charlie b" wrote in message
I've got a loose tenoned, arched topped, 6 panel gate that's
a third done and a small table that's 75 percent done
waiting for glue up - and I can't seem to get back to them.
I keep cleaning up around the JET VS Midi Lathe and I
put the tools away so I can move the lathe off my bench
so I can get back to my "real" projects.

Somebody - stop me before I turn again! Or at
least give me some tips on tapering off so I can
get the other stuff done - please.

With a wife, I never have to worry about losing contact with reality and my
obligations.

Leif Thorvaldson

"George" George@least wrote in message

"charlie b" wrote in message
I've got a loose tenoned, arched topped, 6 panel gate that's
a third done and a small table that's 75 percent done
waiting for glue up - and I can't seem to get back to them.
I keep cleaning up around the JET VS Midi Lathe and I
put the tools away so I can move the lathe off my bench
so I can get back to my "real" projects.

Somebody - stop me before I turn again! Or at
least give me some tips on tapering off so I can
get the other stuff done - please.

With a wife, I never have to worry about losing contact with reality and
my obligations.

=====A nostrum that may be worse than the disease! *G*

Leif

mac davis

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:59:22 -0700, charlie b wrote:

[...]

welcome to the addiction, Charlie...
I had a pretty goo shop set up, even being limited to a 2 car garage...

pretty practical layout with room for bench, RAS, CMS, shopsmith, sander,
grinders, router table, etc... then I got back into turning, and it took over
the shop!
For the last 8 months, every flat surface has something on it related to
turning.. blanks, stuff waiting for finish or buffing, (wife's department), bags
with stuff drying, stuff that's done but not waxed or whatever, things that are
done but waiting for a bigger cabinet to be stored in...

I couldn't do flat work right now if I wanted to, unless I used someone else's
shop...

Oh.. and a bit of space taken up by the bigger lathe we "had" to get, and of
course a bandsaw that we needed for turning.... and the buffing system that my
wife set up on the router table.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ken Moon

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

===============================
Charlie,
You may as well sell all the "flat work" tools that you can't use in
turning. You'll need the extra money to buy all the new turning equipment
and tools you don't even know you need yet!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Dave in Fairfax

Ken Moon wrote:
Charlie,
You may as well sell all the "flat work" tools that you can't use in
turning. You'll need the extra money to buy all the new turning equipment
and tools you don't even know you need yet!

A distinct idea, but I'm proof that you can be addicted to planes as
well. Sort of a linear lathe. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Prometheus

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:41:49 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

welcome to the addiction, Charlie...
I had a pretty goo shop set up, even being limited to a 2 car garage...

pretty practical layout with room for bench, RAS, CMS, shopsmith, sander,
grinders, router table, etc... then I got back into turning, and it took over
the shop!
For the last 8 months, every flat surface has something on it related to
turning.. blanks, stuff waiting for finish or buffing, (wife's department), bags
with stuff drying, stuff that's done but not waxed or whatever, things that are
done but waiting for a bigger cabinet to be stored in...

I couldn't do flat work right now if I wanted to, unless I used someone else's
shop...

You gotta do what I did, and separate the two- the office in my
basement became the lathe room, and the shop was reclaimed for flat
work. Good for chip containment, and added about 120 total sq ft of
shop space. Had to put the dining room table in the kitchen (to
replace the deposed office), but I like it there better anyhow.

Oh.. and a bit of space taken up by the bigger lathe we "had" to get, and of
course a bandsaw that we needed for turning.... and the buffing system that my
wife set up on the router table.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Ken Moon

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
Ken Moon wrote:
Charlie,
You may as well sell all the "flat work" tools that you can't use in
turning. You'll need the extra money to buy all the new turning equipment
and tools you don't even know you need yet!

A distinct idea, but I'm proof that you can be addicted to planes as
well. Sort of a linear lathe. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
======================

Or if you're brave enough to master it, the plane will make a pretty good
skew.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Dave in Fairfax

Ken Moon wrote:
Or if you're brave enough to master it, the plane will make a pretty good
skew.

Do NOT try that, yup I got terminally stupid with a #4. It seemed liek
it was working REALLY well for almost a moment, then I had the most
impressive catch I've ever enjoyed. %-) Luckliy it was a crappy #4,
but it totaled my toolrest. Planes aren't built for 1000rpm work. YMMV
but prolly not.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
George

Ken Moon wrote:
Or if you're brave enough to master it, the plane will make a pretty good
skew.

Do NOT try that, yup I got terminally stupid with a #4. It seemed liek
it was working REALLY well for almost a moment, then I had the most
impressive catch I've ever enjoyed. %-) Luckliy it was a crappy #4,
but it totaled my toolrest. Planes aren't built for 1000rpm work. YMMV
but prolly not.

Those of us who have used planes for smoothing columns on a lathe had better
sense than to run so fast. No so much for the mechanics of it, but because
the blade wasn't made for the heat.

Dave in Fairfax

George wrote:
Those of us who have used planes for smoothing columns on a lathe had better
sense than to run so fast. No so much for the mechanics of it, but because
the blade wasn't made for the heat.

Actually, it wasn't a sense issue. 1000rpm is as slow as the lathe
goes. Since it has to live under a tarp in the backyard, I'm loath to
put an expensive one out there and have the mice, bugs and weather play
with it. When I get to retire, we'll get out toward WA state and pick
up some land trees and a house with an out building. At that point I'll
be able to use bigger and better tools, but here in the National Capitol
Area, I don't have room to swing a pushstick. %-) 3 BR townhouses start
at $400K, if you can find them.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
mac davis

Ken Moon wrote:
Charlie,
You may as well sell all the "flat work" tools that you can't use in
turning. You'll need the extra money to buy all the new turning equipment
and tools you don't even know you need yet!

A distinct idea, but I'm proof that you can be addicted to planes as
well. Sort of a linear lathe. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
======================

Or if you're brave enough to master it, the plane will make a pretty good
skew.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

they only work well in spindle turning, though...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

wrote:

[...]

My problem is that since I work at home, I do have an office, but every corner
and shelf that I didn't need is crammed with the stuff that was in the way in
the shop...
what I really need, but the city won't allow, is a 2 car gar. size covered
patio/screen room off the shop to move all the turning stuff into..

I guess we'll have to wait a few years, until the house in Baja is finished,
until we really have shop space.. (and a 65' carport next to it to overflow
into)