Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
charlie b

Default Stop Me Before I Turn Again!

I've got a loose tenoned, arched topped, 6 panel gate that's
a third done and a small table that's 75 percent done
waiting for glue up - and I can't seem to get back to them.
I keep cleaning up around the JET VS Midi Lathe and I
put the tools away so I can move the lathe off my bench
so I can get back to my "real" projects.

But then I happen on a piece of scrap wood that I could
try some eccentric turning, or maybe try some delicate
stuff on. Hmmm - mahogany is great to work with
using hand tools . . . Here's a block of box wood that
carves really nicely. . . Padouk smells good and looks
even better when finished . . . There's a few pieces
of claro walnut that cuts like butter with a good edge
on a chisel or plane . . .

The lathe stays on the bench, the gouge, skew and
Spindle Master come out and a new pile of small
chips begin to pile up. Shapes begin appearing and
being refined. The "real" projects are begging for
some attention.

Somebody - stop me before I turn again! Or at
least give me some tips on tapering off so I can
get the other stuff done - please.

charlie b