Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ted

Default Heating a woodworking shop?

I am in the process of building a new woodworking shop. Its a new
24x40 pole barn that will have a 24' x 24' well insulated area that
will need to be heated during Michigan winters. I have not put the
floor (concrete) in yet and wonder if it is worth the cost to put in
radiant floor heat? I have a cousin that will help put in the pipeing
under the floor so I only need to pay for materials. I have a propane
gas tank about 50 feet from the barn. Some questions:

1. Is an open gas flame (from a boiler or furnace) a concern with a
lot of sanding and woodcutting?

2. Should I built a small separate compartment in the workshop to hold
the furnace or boiler to keep the sawdust, etc away from the flame?

3. Is radiant floor heat that much better and that much more
economical than other heating options like a forced air furnace?

4. Should I consider a heating system that doesn't vent into the
workshop to avoid burning dust?

Thanks for any input,
Ted