Default Is the Nova DVR 3000 too light of a lathe

I would love a Oneway 1640 or 2036 but just can't justify the price. I
have started looking at the Nova DVR 3000 and the price sure is right
but at only 181 lbs it sure seems light to handle its full swing
compared to other lathes. And does the the swiveling headstock impart
play and inaccuracy when aligning centers. These are my beefs - what do
you think.

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would love a Oneway 1640 or 2036 but just can't justify the price. I
have started looking at the Nova DVR 3000 and the price sure is right
but at only 181 lbs it sure seems light to handle its full swing
compared to other lathes. And does the the swiveling headstock impart
play and inaccuracy when aligning centers. These are my beefs - what do
you think.

My non-DVR seems equal to the task of 16x9 soaking wet maple. Actually,
it's 400mm, as they advertise (15 3/4), or my ruler is wrong.

If you think about it, masking the out-of-balance situation with
counterweight or broad bases doesn't take a bit of strain off the bearings
and fittings. Or a bit of the danger away for you should the piece
dismount. Strive for balance by sawing/boring the heavy spots.

It's the tailstock that adds error with mine. Nothing that can't be fixed
with one of those double-end Morse tapers though. Aligned it this morning
because I noticed it was a slosh off. DVR has a different tail.

Junior

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would love a Oneway 1640 or 2036 but just can't justify the price. I
have started looking at the Nova DVR 3000 and the price sure is right
but at only 181 lbs it sure seems light to handle its full swing
compared to other lathes. And does the the swiveling headstock impart
play and inaccuracy when aligning centers. These are my beefs - what do
you think.

Jet JWL-1642-2EVS. It handled a 16 by 10 green walnut blank no problem.
410 lbs right out of the box.

Link:
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...tail&iid=11716

Junior

Dick

I would never return to a lathe that did not have a swivel head.
Limiting work to the height over the bed or swapping to outboard is no
fun once you have experienced the swivel head. Also hollowing bowls
with about 22 degrees of swivel is real comfort. Hollowing vases -
even better.

My DVR takes all the weight and size I have been able to throw at it so
far - wet turned 600mm platters and huge wet bowl blanks. Dry wood
with a kilogram of lead to balance it. No problem. Having 2hp of
power at the faceplate is also a real plus.

Dick

Barry N. Turner

Well then, STOP! You can't justify spending such a godawful price for a
lathe, unless your name is Richard Raffan or John Jordan or David Ellsworth.
Just go buy your dream lathe and you won't have to worry about it any more.
:-)

Barry

PS How about a Oneway 1224? $1850 the last time I looked. Can't beat
the quality.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would love a Oneway 1640 or 2036 but just can't justify the price. I
have started looking at the Nova DVR 3000 and the price sure is right
but at only 181 lbs it sure seems light to handle its full swing
compared to other lathes. And does the the swiveling headstock impart
play and inaccuracy when aligning centers. These are my beefs - what do
you think.

George

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
.. .
PS How about a Oneway 1224? $1850 the last time I looked. Can't beat
the quality.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would love a Oneway 1640 or 2036 but just can't justify the price.

For a 12" swing, any of the old Delta/PM/General lathes out there would
outlast him at $400 used.

robo hippy

The Nova will do the job just fine, however you can't turn it as fast
as you could on a heavier, more powerful lathe. The only Oneway that I
turned on was the 1224. It is nice and small. The PM3520 will do
anything that the Oneway 1640 will, and for a lot less money.
robo hippy

Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Nova 3000 question Justme71457 Woodturning 2 November 11th 03 04:40 PM
Taking a Nova 3000 DVR apart? Roy Smith Woodturning 5 August 3rd 03 04:45 PM