George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would love a Oneway 1640 or 2036 but just can't justify the price. I
have started looking at the Nova DVR 3000 and the price sure is right
but at only 181 lbs it sure seems light to handle its full swing
compared to other lathes. And does the the swiveling headstock impart
play and inaccuracy when aligning centers. These are my beefs - what do
you think.

My non-DVR seems equal to the task of 16x9 soaking wet maple. Actually,
it's 400mm, as they advertise (15 3/4), or my ruler is wrong.

If you think about it, masking the out-of-balance situation with
counterweight or broad bases doesn't take a bit of strain off the bearings
and fittings. Or a bit of the danger away for you should the piece
dismount. Strive for balance by sawing/boring the heavy spots.

It's the tailstock that adds error with mine. Nothing that can't be fixed
with one of those double-end Morse tapers though. Aligned it this morning
because I noticed it was a slosh off. DVR has a different tail.