Roy Smith

Default Taking a Nova 3000 DVR apart?

I've got a shop in the basement, which means everything goes in or out
down a flight of stairs (and not a very wide one, at that). I've got my
eyes on a Nova 3000 DVR lathe, but at a shipping weight of 181 lbs, if
it can't come apart into smaller pieces, it's a no go.

I'm assuming the headstock, banjo, and tailstock all come off the bed
relatively easily. I'm also guessing the heaviest single piece would be
the headstock, at maybe 75 lbs. Are these reasonable assumptions?

James Barley

Lyn,
I just can't resist, you know how it is, inquiring minds have to know.
does this post, or actually non-post, come under the heading of
"Web skills,"
or "Writing and editing"

James.

"Lyn J. Mangiameli" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

Roy Smith wrote:

I've got a shop in the basement, which means everything goes in or out
down a flight of stairs (and not a very wide one, at that). I've got my
eyes on a Nova 3000 DVR lathe, but at a shipping weight of 181 lbs, if
it can't come apart into smaller pieces, it's a no go.

I'm assuming the headstock, banjo, and tailstock all come off the bed
relatively easily. I'm also guessing the heaviest single piece would be
the headstock, at maybe 75 lbs. Are these reasonable assumptions?

Ali T. Borahan

Hi Roy.

I've got a DVR 3000 and the short answer is: Yes, the headstock comes off
the bed. The bed can even be separated into two pieces if you wish. The long
of it is, none of it is easy. You have to have some special tools to remove
the headstock from the bed. Even with the special tools it took two of us
(my father-in-law helped) and it was a pain in the rear. I would recommend
using a hand-truck (tie it with ropes) to take it down your stairs. It will
take you more time and effort to remove the pieces than it would to cart it
down. Or you could always ask a friendly neighbor to help you carry it... I
actually was able to lift the whole darned thing by myself to get it on the
bench (actually bought the extended one made specifically for the DVR).
Either way, don't let the bother of it all turn you off this lathe. It's
awesome!!!
------
Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts
Web URL: http://www.alisails.com

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
I've got a shop in the basement, which means everything goes in or out
down a flight of stairs (and not a very wide one, at that). I've got my
eyes on a Nova 3000 DVR lathe, but at a shipping weight of 181 lbs, if
it can't come apart into smaller pieces, it's a no go.

I'm assuming the headstock, banjo, and tailstock all come off the bed
relatively easily. I'm also guessing the heaviest single piece would be
the headstock, at maybe 75 lbs. Are these reasonable assumptions?

M.J. Orr

"Nothing" came through James because as most here know that Lyn left in a
huff so he really isn't here......:-)

--
Email evades spam
Direct contact through web site

M.J. Orr
http://www.island.net/~morr
τΏτ
~

. ca...

Roy Smith wrote:

I've got a shop in the basement, which means everything goes in or out
down a flight of stairs (and not a very wide one, at that). I've got

my
eyes on a Nova 3000 DVR lathe, but at a shipping weight of 181 lbs, if
it can't come apart into smaller pieces, it's a no go.

I'm assuming the headstock, banjo, and tailstock all come off the bed
relatively easily. I'm also guessing the heaviest single piece would

be
the headstock, at maybe 75 lbs. Are these reasonable assumptions?

Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

If your DVR comes in the factory box, as mine did, cut the sides off
the box, slide the tail stock off and tool rest off. Then I was able
to carry the head end while the wife held up the bed end and down the
stairs we went.
The wife speaking he says it wasn't so bad, it's small enough to
get good hand holds on, and you can always set it down to rest. I
think it's a two person job tho.