unk

Default Is there a home brew for CA Accellerator?

I was contemplating a recent whiff of a blast from the CA Accellerator spray
bottle and began to wonder....is this stuff just Acetone or are there other
things in there?

Well, I got down my can of acetone, let the gas escape and then got an eye
dropper full and squirted it on a drop of CA .... and guess what...it did
not make a bit of difference in the drying time of the CA. I was taken
aback.

CA Accellerator smells like Acetone but there must be other stuff in there
that makes it work.

Does anyone have the formula? I admit - I am cheap and think threre is a
way around the store to make this stuff at home

Ray

George

"unk" wrote in message

CA Accellerator smells like Acetone but there must be other stuff in there
that makes it work.

Does anyone have the formula? I admit - I am cheap and think threre is a
way around the store to make this stuff at home

No surprise.

Acetone is a solvent for CA. I keep formerly clogged nozzles soaking in it
and switch if I forget to clear one in the heat of gluing.

The hardener appears to be an aromatic alcohol rather than a ketone. Home
brews normally just use a basic substance like bicarb solution. It's too
cheap to screw around with such things, in my opinion. Bicarb has a
tendency to leave a really quick whitened film.

Owen Davies

"unk" wrote:

CA Accellerator smells like Acetone but there must be other stuff in there
that makes it work. Does anyone have the formula?

I've always understood that it was formic acid, but no guarantee.

Owen Davies

Oww.... come on, now. There is cheap, and there is silly. Don't risk
the integrity of your adhesive by using something you found under the
bathroom sink. Hours and hours of work, yet not willing to put .02
into the hat for accelerator?

I have found that used correctly (read: bathing/soaking not required)
accelerator lasts for a long, long time. I have used this combo now
for three years.

$9 plus shipping? For that much product? I don't think you can go
wrong.

http://tinyurl.com/dwrme

Robert

George

"Owen Davies" wrote in message
"unk" wrote:

CA Accellerator smells like Acetone but there must be other stuff in

there
that makes it work. Does anyone have the formula?

I've always understood that it was formic acid, but no guarantee.

Given that cure takes forever on acid woods, I'd put that one out of my
mind.

unk

Robert

I was just knocking around an idea - looking for the alternative if it was
sitting under my nose would be better than having to make the trip to WC to
get a new bottle!

Ray

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oww.... come on, now. There is cheap, and there is silly. Don't risk
the integrity of your adhesive by using something you found under the
bathroom sink. Hours and hours of work, yet not willing to put .02
into the hat for accelerator?

I have found that used correctly (read: bathing/soaking not required)
accelerator lasts for a long, long time. I have used this combo now
for three years.

$9 plus shipping? For that much product? I don't think you can go
wrong.

http://tinyurl.com/dwrme

Robert

Leo Lichtman

"George" wrote: Given that cure takes forever on acid woods, I'd put that
one (formic acid) out of my mind.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sprinkle on a few crushed ants, and see what happens.
:-)

I understand that anything with an -OH radical will work. They say water
mist works slightly. I would expect alcohol to work. I agree, however,
that the real stuff works so well that it's a no-brainer.

Doug & Pat Black

Satellite city have just offered for sale a new aerosol accelerator that
will not evaporate in the heat or go off in the sun. A little goes a long
way. There are many sources for it, I can provide a link should anyone
require. it.

woodturn

Water can work as an accelerator, but it depends on the water. "Hard
water" is good, and the harder the water the better. City water is not
good because the chlorine and fluorides are decelerators.

The cellulose in cloth or a paper towel will act as an accelerator if
you are using the CA as a finish.

Leif Thorvaldson

"unk" wrote in message
I was contemplating a recent whiff of a blast from the CA Accellerator
spray bottle and began to wonder....is this stuff just Acetone or are there
other things in there?

Well, I got down my can of acetone, let the gas escape and then got an eye
dropper full and squirted it on a drop of CA .... and guess what...it did
not make a bit of difference in the drying time of the CA. I was taken
aback.

CA Accellerator smells like Acetone but there must be other stuff in there
that makes it work.

Does anyone have the formula? I admit - I am cheap and think threre is a
way around the store to make this stuff at home

Ray

=======I seem to recall that this topic came up once before and a
suggestion was put forth that to speed setting of the CA to spray a bit of
water in the area to be joined and then apply the CA with even giving it a
quick spray. I have tried that and it seemed to work. However, I agree
that the use of a commercial accelerant is cheap enough that it doesn't
warrant doing under the kitchen sink chemistry.

Leif

Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) The cellulose in cloth or a paper towel
will act as an accelerator if you are using the CA as a finish.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, YES! I can attest to that. I put some C/A on the wood and started
spreading it with a rag. The cure took off and attached my finger to the
rag. There was lots of heat, and I wound up with a painful blister with a
rag glued to it.

I don't do that any more.

ottomatic

"unk" wrote in message
I was contemplating a recent whiff of a blast from the CA Accellerator

spray
bottle and began to wonder....is this stuff just Acetone or are there

other
things in there?

Well, I got down my can of acetone, let the gas escape and then got an eye
dropper full and squirted it on a drop of CA .... and guess what...it did
not make a bit of difference in the drying time of the CA. I was taken
aback.

CA Accellerator smells like Acetone but there must be other stuff in there
that makes it work.

Does anyone have the formula? I admit - I am cheap and think threre is a
way around the store to make this stuff at home

Acetone is CA REMOVER if you like bargains, go to your local
dollar store, purchase a 99cent PINT of nail polish remover
it un-super-glues fingers quite effectively

HTH
Otto

Ray

Dan Bollinger

Oh, YES! I can attest to that. I put some C/A on the wood and started
spreading it with a rag. The cure took off and attached my finger to the
rag. There was lots of heat, and I wound up with a painful blister with a
rag glued to it.

I don't do that any more.

LOL! CA is water activated by design. The moisture in the paper towel
acts as a curing agent. One formula for an accelerator (told to me by a CA
industrial adhesive mfgr.) is water and sodium bicarb mixture sprayed on one
surface and CA spread on the other. The bicarb retains a little moisture,
even after the surface water has evaporated.

Dan

Chris van Aar

Yes, its a mixture of water and acetone.

Chris from Holland

"unk" schreef in bericht
I was contemplating a recent whiff of a blast from the CA Accellerator
spray bottle and began to wonder....is this stuff just Acetone or are there
other things in there?

Well, I got down my can of acetone, let the gas escape and then got an eye
dropper full and squirted it on a drop of CA .... and guess what...it did
not make a bit of difference in the drying time of the CA. I was taken
aback.

CA Accellerator smells like Acetone but there must be other stuff in there
that makes it work.

Does anyone have the formula? I admit - I am cheap and think threre is a
way around the store to make this stuff at home

Ray

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Chris

Weet je dat zeker ?? en hoe weet je dat ??

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Chris van Aar wrote:
Yes, its a mixture of water and acetone.

Chris from Holland

Chris van Aar

Leo,

Ik weet zeker dat ik dat van iemend gehoord heb die zegt dat van een wel
ingelichte persoon te hebben gehoord. Nogal vaag he, meer kan ik daar niet
over zeggen.
Tot nu toe heb ik het nog niet geprobeerd, is nog niet nodig geweest,
bovendien is het tamelijk smerig spul, zowel de lijm als de aceton, dus ik
probeer eerst een andere oplossing te verzinnen dan meteen naar secondelijm
te grijpen.

Chris from Holland

"Leo Van Der Loo" schreef in bericht