Tommie

Default Aluminum

I am casting some aluminum face plates using the LFC method. I was
wondering if anyone knows what lathe tool I would use to smooth the face
and at what speed. Tommie

Ken Moon

"Tommie" wrote in message
I am casting some aluminum face plates using the LFC method. I was
wondering if anyone knows what lathe tool I would use to smooth the face
and at what speed. Tommie

============================
With a metal lathe, the job would be done with a metal turning cutter bit
held in a tool post and moved across the face of the face plate by a hand or
powered crank. I assume (with all the uncertainties that go with that) you
don't have a metal lathe, and are asking how to do this with a wood turning
lathe. How I would do this is to use a small diameter (1/4 or 3/8 in.)
spindle gouge with a fingernail grind. Turn the toolrest so it is
perpendicular to the lathe bed, and move it up so it is almost touching the
face plate casting. Then turn it at a slow speed (500 RPM or less) and take
slow cuts like you would on a finishing cut on hard wood. Aluminum cuts like
a very hard wood, but has a tendency to gall easily. If you have a way to
lubricate the cutting area, it will probably help. HTH

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Bernie Bober

To lubricate Aluminum for machining you will find WD-40 works very well.

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Ken Moon wrote:

"Tommie" wrote in message

[...]

And keep the cutter held firmly at just below center.
If you have a metal lathe, all the better.
If you have a cross slide type of operation, all the better.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Tommie

HSS drills will drill alluminium like butter and HSS cutting and
scraping tools will cut it readily, the only problem with alluminium is
that it needs lubrication or it will stick to the cutting tools edge, I
have used cutting oil, diesel fuel and stove oil with success.
For your faceplate I would use a thick HSS scraper, keep your toolrest
close and take light cuts, keep your cutting speed at about 200 feet per
minute and it should work just fine.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo