Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Tommie

HSS drills will drill alluminium like butter and HSS cutting and
scraping tools will cut it readily, the only problem with alluminium is
that it needs lubrication or it will stick to the cutting tools edge, I
have used cutting oil, diesel fuel and stove oil with success.
For your faceplate I would use a thick HSS scraper, keep your toolrest
close and take light cuts, keep your cutting speed at about 200 feet per
minute and it should work just fine.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Tommie wrote:

I am casting some aluminum face plates using the LFC method. I was
wondering if anyone knows what lathe tool I would use to smooth the face
and at what speed. Tommie