Ken Moon

"Tommie" wrote in message
I am casting some aluminum face plates using the LFC method. I was
wondering if anyone knows what lathe tool I would use to smooth the face
and at what speed. Tommie

============================
With a metal lathe, the job would be done with a metal turning cutter bit
held in a tool post and moved across the face of the face plate by a hand or
powered crank. I assume (with all the uncertainties that go with that) you
don't have a metal lathe, and are asking how to do this with a wood turning
lathe. How I would do this is to use a small diameter (1/4 or 3/8 in.)
spindle gouge with a fingernail grind. Turn the toolrest so it is
perpendicular to the lathe bed, and move it up so it is almost touching the
face plate casting. Then turn it at a slow speed (500 RPM or less) and take
slow cuts like you would on a finishing cut on hard wood. Aluminum cuts like
a very hard wood, but has a tendency to gall easily. If you have a way to
lubricate the cutting area, it will probably help. HTH

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.