Chuck

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:45:21 -0400, (Tommie)
wrote:

I am casting some aluminum face plates using the LFC method. I was
wondering if anyone knows what lathe tool I would use to smooth the face
and at what speed. Tommie

Tommie,

Even your hss tools will be harder than aluminum face plates, but if I
were going to do it, I think I would get some carbide metal-turning
bits and make a purpose-built tool to hold them (a drop of CA to
secure it and a propane torch to release it when it's dull) and turn
them at a high speed, just removing a sliver at a time, with the tool
rest as close as you can get it. Not knowing what you have for
tooling, it's hard to say what _you_ would use, though. Any of the
powdered metal tools would certainly be harder, like the ASP 2030 or
2060 and indeed, even carbon steel is harder, but I don't think I'd go
that route. You could also use a square-ended scraper, as far as that
goes.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com