Kevin

Default Off Topic - glass repair

My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid. Somehow the lid was
broken. The break was clean. He would like some suggestions on how to fix
it as it was a gift from an old friend of his.
Crazy glue? Some type of epoxy?

George

"Kevin" wrote in message
My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid. Somehow the lid was
broken. The break was clean. He would like some suggestions on how to fix
it as it was a gift from an old friend of his.
Crazy glue? Some type of epoxy?

Lead, as in stained glass stuff.

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid. Somehow the lid was
broken. The break was clean. He would like some suggestions on how to fix
it as it was a gift from an old friend of his.
Crazy glue? Some type of epoxy?

There is a CA glue marketed as being particularly good on glass. I have
no idea how much that is pure marketing, or if there's any difference in
the product .vs. regular CA glue. Got some to repair a glass box which
had some metal hardware (evidently glued on in the first place) depart
company from it, which worked OK. I think you'll still see the crack any
way you repair it if the glass is broken, but that might be the glue to
try.
Leif Thorvaldson

"Kevin" wrote in message
My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid. Somehow the lid was
broken. The break was clean. He would like some suggestions on how to fix
it as it was a gift from an old friend of his.
Crazy glue? Some type of epoxy?

You might try Novus?*G* How about just replacing the glass? Is it
something special???

Leif

Andrew Barss

Kevin wrote:
: My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid. Somehow the lid was
: broken. The break was clean. He would like some suggestions on how to fix
: it as it was a gift from an old friend of his.
: Crazy glue? Some type of epoxy?

http://www.thistothat.com lists a few options. Here's a direct link:

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...ass&that=Glass

-- Andy Barss

Ken Moon

"Kevin" wrote in message
My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid. Somehow the lid was
broken. The break was clean. He would like some suggestions on how to fix
it as it was a gift from an old friend of his.
Crazy glue? Some type of epoxy?

================

How about the glue that's used to hold rear view mirrors on the bare glass
inside of windshields? Don't know how it would work on a split glass, but it
works well thru wide temp ranges on metal to glass.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

mac davis

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:01:08 -0500, "Kevin" wrote:

My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid. Somehow the lid was
broken. The break was clean. He would like some suggestions on how to fix
it as it was a gift from an old friend of his.
Crazy glue? Some type of epoxy?

I don't know if they still make it, but we used to use a product called "liquid
glass" or something like that, to glue cut bottles and other glass stuff...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leo Lichtman

Your problem is not finding a glue that will hold. Your problem is getting
a glue that will not show after the repair is complete. I suggest you try
the stuff that is used to repair pitted or broken windshields--it has an
index of refraction that is the same as glass (or close.) The procedure is
tricky, requiring a special curing lamp.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:01:08 -0500, "Kevin" wrote:

My boss has a square glass box with a glass lid.

UV cure glass glue.

You can buy some expensive stuff needing a _very_ expensive UV lamp (and
no other sort of lamp) or you can buy similar stuff cheaply in a small
quantity for sticking car rear-view mirrors to the inside of
windscreens. This will cure in summer sunshine. It's also more elastic
than many of the industrial glass glues, so is better for repairs.

Use a _TINY_ amount. Don't leave it lying on the bare surface.

LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Outside stained glass window Jeff and Jennifer Cook Woodworking 17 February 18th 05 10:11 PM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
replacing the glass in doors? DavidD UK diy 5 September 9th 04 02:02 PM
Tempered Glass Containers? Jimbo Metalworking 1 January 8th 04 12:37 PM