Jeff and Jennifer Cook

Default Outside stained glass window

My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

igor

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:38:10 -0700, "Jeff and Jennifer Cook"
wrote:

My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Sounds like the house is on the infield at Daytona.

Charles Spitzer

"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote in message
My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and
not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass
sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

talk to the people who are installing the s.g. panel. they will have the
best ideas of how to do this.

in general, you just install it in front of the existing window, which is a
normal window. the installers will have designed in rebar in the window that
will have to be sunk into the window frame which will support the glass
panel.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote:

My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

I would look into Lexan or polycarbonate or somesuch.
No rocks will be coming through Lexan.. and it is as clear as glass.
A 6' x 8' chunk of tempered glass will cost a fortune also.
You'd hate to mess up the visuals with chicken wire, no?

What kind of stained glass image is this?... I mean.. that you're
expecting rocks..

0¿0

Rob
Andy Dingley

wrote:

We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips

Post in rec.crafts.glass

Silvan

igor wrote:

Sounds like the house is on the infield at Daytona.

Or my grandpa's church. Damn kids.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Bill B

When I sell a stained glass window, or sidelights on the front door, I only
recommend a normal piece of single strength glass in front of it. The odds
of getting a rock or anything through a particular window are normally very
slim. What really needs protecting is the stained glass from the elements.
Most window cements are not terribly waterproof. And cleaning them, joints
and all, is a real pain. If you are real worried about the location, a
piece of tempered or double strength glass should provide all the protection
you need. Avoid the plastics/polycarbonates, all I've seen yellow or sand
blast real bad. Something above the stairs should just need environmental
protection.

"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote in message
My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and
not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass
sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

igor

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:37:45 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

What kind of stained glass image is this?... I mean.. that you're
expecting rocks..

Excellent question.

I'd like to make one of Moses receiving the 15 commandments (before he
dropped that one tablet of 5).
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote:

My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm a little confused about how it's going to be installed. Is the
stained glass free hanging (hovering over the stairs) or will it be
inside a window casement in the wall? If it's free hanging, you'd
certainly want tempered or safety glass that shatters in little square
pieces - hate to think of someone accidentally breaking the protective
glass from below only to be rained on with shards.

If it's to be mounted in an exterior window then you'd likely be A-OK
with a double strength pane (I think the 2x glass is noticeably quieter
in sound transmission but that's just my opinion). As Charles Spitzer
mentioned, get a stained glass shop involved in the installation. 6'x8'
is a pretty large panel and if constructed correctly will have
reinforcing bars tied in at regular intervals.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Ed Clarke

On 2005-02-17, Bill B wrote:
When I sell a stained glass window, or sidelights on the front door, I only
recommend a normal piece of single strength glass in front of it. The odds
of getting a rock or anything through a particular window are normally very
slim. What really needs protecting is the stained glass from the elements.
Most window cements are not terribly waterproof. And cleaning them, joints
and all, is a real pain. If you are real worried about the location, a
piece of tempered or double strength glass should provide all the protection
you need. Avoid the plastics/polycarbonates, all I've seen yellow or sand
blast real bad. Something above the stairs should just need environmental
protection.

Ya know... I was reading an old "The Craftsman" from December 1902. One of
the articles was written by a "Glass Man". He claimed that the problem with
"Modern" (1900's) stained glass was cheapness on the part of the builder who
tried to use insufficient lead or other cost-cutting methods. He also complained
about customers who thought they knew more than he did about what was required
to support a stained glass window.

As way of proof he offered examples of stained glass from the 12th century that
were perfectly fine while current(1902) windows in New York City were falling
apart after a decade or two. The statement was made that outside glass was
not necessary at all.

Title of the article is "Rambling Thoughts of a Glass Man" and the author was
Otto Heinigke.

--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years

I agree with Bill B's response a single or double safety glass on the
outside will be sufficient. I have a few (not as large as your stained
glass) windows including a front door glass and side lites I have made.
So far 20 + years no problems. I also agree to stay away from
plastics, they will scratch and yellow on you. My only concern is the
size of the stained glass window 6' X 8' is very large hopefully the
pane is reinforced enough to
keep it stiff. I usually solder in some reinforcing brass rods to keep
it from flexing on my large stained glass panels.

wrote:

My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

forget the chicken wire. anything big enough to make it through the
tempered is gonna go right through chicken wire.

make sure the stained glass is covered by your insurance and stop
worrying about it.
David Harper

You might be better off having a local glass company make an insulated glass
unit .

3/16" or 1/4" tempered glass ( outside )
1/4" air space
stained glass
1/4" air space
3/16" or 1/4" tempered glass ( outside )

Then this can be glazed in the window custom frame

wrote:

My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and
not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass
sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

forget the chicken wire. anything big enough to make it through the
tempered is gonna go right through chicken wire.

make sure the stained glass is covered by your insurance and stop
worrying about it.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:39:19 GMT, the inscrutable igor
spake:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:37:45 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

What kind of stained glass image is this?... I mean.. that you're
expecting rocks..

Excellent question.

I'd like to make one of Moses receiving the 15 commandments (before he
dropped that one tablet of 5).

God Bless Mel Brooks!

---
www.diversify.com Complete Website Development
igor

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:08:02 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:39:19 GMT, the inscrutable igor
spake:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:37:45 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

What kind of stained glass image is this?... I mean.. that you're
expecting rocks..

Excellent question.

I'd like to make one of Moses receiving the 15 commandments (before he
dropped that one tablet of 5).

God Bless Mel Brooks!

Thanks for returning the favor.
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"David Harper" wrote:

You might be better off having a local glass company make an insulated glass
unit .

3/16" or 1/4" tempered glass ( outside )
1/4" air space
stained glass
1/4" air space
3/16" or 1/4" tempered glass ( outside )

Then this can be glazed in the window custom frame

I'm not certain about this, but you might have a problem with heat
affecting the stained glass if it's installed in a sealed sandwich. Too
much heat can soften the lead solder joints and cause the stained glass
panel to sag.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Charles Spitzer

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"David Harper" wrote:

You might be better off having a local glass company make an insulated
glass
unit .

3/16" or 1/4" tempered glass ( outside )
1/4" air space
stained glass
1/4" air space
3/16" or 1/4" tempered glass ( outside )

Then this can be glazed in the window custom frame

I'm not certain about this, but you might have a problem with heat
affecting the stained glass if it's installed in a sealed sandwich. Too
much heat can soften the lead solder joints and cause the stained glass
panel to sag.

well, no. there's lots of these units in front doors for example. solder
used in stained glass melts in the 650F range. it won't soften the joints.
it may soften the lead came itself, which is almost pure lead and melts in
the 450F range, but not likely. what is more likely is that the cement used
in the panel will soften, but if it's supported between 2 sheets of glass,
where's it gonna sag to?

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long