Texas Yankee

Default Glass block for window replacement

I have 4 windows in a curved exterior wall at the front of my house - like
1/2 of an octagon - the windows are each separated by about 8" - there is
also about 8" above each window to the ceiling and below each window down to
the floor - I'm considering replacing the windows and the wall area between
them with a wall of glass block.

Can glass block bear the structural load currently provided by the area
between the window frames?

I'll obviously miss the ventilation that the open windows provided in the
very short Spring\Fall here in North Texas - any suggestions on how to get
some ventilation worked into this scheme?

Thanks!

One needs to know what is above the window and needs to be supported.
Then one needs to know what is below the window opening to support the
load.
The construction system has to be considered.
I'd suggest an engineer.

TB

effi

"Texas Yankee" wrote in message
I have 4 windows in a curved exterior wall at the front of my house - like
1/2 of an octagon - the windows are each separated by about 8" - there is
also about 8" above each window to the ceiling and below each window down
the floor - I'm considering replacing the windows and the wall area
between
them with a wall of glass block.

Can glass block bear the structural load currently provided by the area
between the window frames?

I'll obviously miss the ventilation that the open windows provided in the
very short Spring\Fall here in North Texas - any suggestions on how to get
some ventilation worked into this scheme?

Thanks!

for both ventilation and glass block, you may be able to work these into the
current window framing without significant structural modification
http://www.glassmasonry.com/Prebuilt...ingWindow.html

same concept but no ventilation
http://www.glassmasonry.com/PrebuiltWindow.html

you might be able to engineer a glass block wall with speak easy windows in
it, stanley door i think it was used to make speak easies for doors, get
someone qualified to visually inspect it as to structural issues

weck makes colored glass block and may be available locally to you
http://www.glassmasonry.com/eurocolors.html

this stuff looks neat
http://www.glassmasonry.com/Solar.html

or maybe one of these
http://www.aliendecor.com/glass_hatch.htm

and this stuff is really cool if you got the bux
http://www.electricglasswall.com/photo.htm

effi

if you go with a wall instead of the glass lock windows, these might be of
interest, weck makes them too, find a local weck supplier

http://www.glassmasonry.com/designer.html

http://www.glassmasonry.com/Decorative.html

http://www.glassmasonry.com/dimensions.html