Arch

Default Musing re instruction manuals. (reading them makes all else fail)

I'm not the sharpest chisel in the rack, but I hope not to be the
dullest. If I am average then there must be a lot of us who think the
manuals that come with our tools and machines are briefs from ambulance
chasers or primers on English for far eastern first graders.

IMO, an instruction manual should be an adjunct to the proper operation
and maintainance of a machine. Maybe some are, but the ones I've read
aren't and there seems to be little relation between quality of product
and quality of manual.

Having ranted that: What are your opinions about the instruction
manuals for current woodturning products? What should you expect in an
instruction manual for a good machine? I want something that really
acquaints me (I can read the ads elsewhere) with my machines and tells
me how to operate (not the same as use) and maintain them. I don't need
a kindergarten of turning lessons, a list of legal disclaimers, a
blurred exploded diagram, an unreadable parts list on short lived pulp
paper with smeared print. You might guess that I'm displeased with the
current crop (crap).
I'm sure there are some excellent instruction manuals out there. What
are your nominations? Why? Maybe other manufacturers will listen.
Writing clear and useful instructions has made some companies that
produced average products. Remember Heathkits?

I leave you now to hunt around in the manual, hoping to find the specs
for the bearings and learn how to replace them in my new state of the
art combination lathe and coffee grinder. I'll be gone a while.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
IMO, an instruction manual should be an adjunct to the proper operation
and maintainance of a machine. Maybe some are, but the ones I've read
aren't and there seems to be little relation between quality of product
and quality of manual.

One thing that occured to me the other day is that lathe manuals should
give some guidance re out of balance capability without harming the
bearings. How that is specified, or how it would be related to real life
turning I don't know, but I read so many posts regarding turning large
pieces of irregular wood on small lathes that I think more guidance is
needed by many.

But maybe that would cause a sharp drop in lathe sales if first time
buyers realised a $200 lathe from Canadian Tire won't handle a 12"
natural edge burl.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

George

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Arch wrote:
IMO, an instruction manual should be an adjunct to the proper operation
and maintainance of a machine. Maybe some are, but the ones I've read
aren't and there seems to be little relation between quality of product
and quality of manual.

One thing that occured to me the other day is that lathe manuals should
give some guidance re out of balance capability without harming the
bearings. How that is specified, or how it would be related to real life
turning I don't know, but I read so many posts regarding turning large
pieces of irregular wood on small lathes that I think more guidance is
needed by many.

But maybe that would cause a sharp drop in lathe sales if first time
buyers realised a $200 lathe from Canadian Tire won't handle a 12"
natural edge burl.

Nope, _never_ suggest a limit, lest some damn fool try to push it. Which
goes back to the saying that you can make something foolproof, but you can't
make it _damn fool_ proof.

The purpose of the manual is to show how the machine operates under ideal
circumstances, with maybe a gesture toward what makes this particular
machine different than others of its type. It is not to teach you basic
machine skills. If you don't have them, you shouldn't be messing with the
machine. Go take a basic course, or check your health insurance.

As to advanced technique, well, all courses begin with safety. You are
taught what to do if one engine flames, how to recover from a stall, a spin,
and unusual attitudes before you are taught basic maneuvers. As it should
be. Thus the warnings, cautions and notes in the manual about things that
can go wrong, prompting you to think before you try. If they seem simple or
patronizing, remember the fool. He's sitting there nodding in agreement,
because he never thought of it. Hopefully he remembers arming levers raise,
triggers squeeze. Sure there's all that stuff about securing your mask,
lowering both visors and straightening up, elbows in, but lack of that
knowledge won't necessarily kill you.

If a piece is vibrating the machine, reach for the off switch. I always
hated reading accident reports about guys who delayed their decision -
probably trying to figure out how to fix whatever was wrong - until they
were out of the envelope. Not that I expect a perfect machine from the
lowest bidder, but if it's not working, I was willing to give it back - as
it was, where it was. Be willing to accept that there are some pieces which
should not be turned.

To paraphrase: the manual tries to get you to accept the things you cannot
change; knowledge to change the things you can; but relies ultimately on you
to have the wisdom to know the difference.

Barry N. Turner

I remember Heathkits.........and Knight Kits. Assembled a transistor radio
and a stereo receiver while I was in high school.........longer ago than I
care to remember, though. As I recall, the instructions were impeccable!
Not like the ones we sometimes get today with our "Made in China" and "Made
in Taiwan" tools. I think the instruction manuals may have been written in
Chinese, then translated word for word by a computer.

Barry

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Ken Moon

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I remember Heathkits.........and Knight Kits. Assembled a transistor radio
and a stereo receiver while I was in high school.........longer ago than I
care to remember, though. As I recall, the instructions were impeccable!
Not like the ones we sometimes get today with our "Made in China" and
"Made
in Taiwan" tools. I think the instruction manuals may have been written
in
Chinese, then translated word for word by a computer.

Barry

=======================
I worked for a MAJOR German medical equipment manufacturing conglomerate for
18 yrs as a field service engineer. We were required to install according to
mfg specs AND also to meet radiation protection regulations of our own
beloved DHHS. The instruction manuals were written by the German technical
staff, then sent to German to English translators (NOT technical) who were
versed in British English. What we often got was comical, and often required
getting a German speaking staff member to read the German version of the
instructions or making a long distance call to the R&D staff. I can see
where, if there's that much trouble on multi million dollar systems, a low
dollar woodturning machine doesn't stand a chance in the international
markets. Frustrating!!{:-(

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Lobby Dosser

Here's a favorite from the Makita 3612 router manual:

"The stopper pole can be moved rapidly by
depressing the fast-food button."

I pushed and pushed on that button and Still had to go make my own
sandwich. Whatta ripoff!
Kevin

Occasionally I am asked to write up a how-to paper for using some stats
software package. As the paper needs to be accessible to those of all
levels of experience and knowledge of stats, I tend to go to the lowest
common denominator. It does get a bit tedious for some who are very familiar
with the subject matter (as well as the package) but then, if they are so
familiar, they needn't be looking over the paper forn anything other than a
constructive critique.
I am one of those who read over the entire manual prior to piddling with the
machinery, or software, or whatever. I read it with a yellow marker and
highlight all dubious sections. Seems the 'foreign' produced manuals have
only a slight edge over the domestic produced ones in terms of the ampunt of
yellow after I am finished.

"Arch" wrote in message
I'm not the sharpest chisel in the rack, but I hope not to be the
dullest. If I am average then there must be a lot of us who think the
manuals that come with our tools and machines are briefs from ambulance
chasers or primers on English for far eastern first graders.

Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
I'm not the sharpest chisel in the rack, but I hope not to be the
dullest. If I am average then there must be a lot of us who think the
manuals that come with our tools and machines are briefs from ambulance
chasers or primers on English for far eastern first graders.

====And here I thought we'd resolved "The Yellow Peril" issue years ago!
*G*

Leif

Bill

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:21:17 -0400, Arch wrote:

I'm not the sharpest chisel in the rack, but I hope not to be the
dullest. If I am average then there must be a lot of us who think the
manuals that come with our tools and machines are briefs from ambulance
chasers or primers on English for far eastern first graders.

Arch,
My ideal would have clear, crisp exploded parts diagrams whose
matching names in the parts list corresponded with the names used in the
text.

It would list all preventative maintenance procedures on the same page.
This could be readily photocopied for posting near the tool in use.

Adjustment ranges would be clearly and accurately marked on the tool
itself but the illustrations would also be readily legible in the event
that the markings on the machine were somehow lost.

Fasteners would use only one measurement system. Fasteners would be packed
with the part they attach to the main body. When I pull the headstock out
of the packaging, I should have the headstock bolts in my hand, too.

If lubrication is needed before use, the initial charge of lubricant
should be included. (ie; a chainsaw should ship with both bar & chain oil
and enough 2-cycle oil for the first five gallons of fuel)

Gray scale photographs should not be used where line drawings could tell
the story better.

Prices and ordering procedures would be readily apparent and current
prices should be sent without formal request when the device is
registered.

Repair manuals (as distinct from maintenance / use manuals) should be
available free or for only a small (self-liquidating) charge upon request.

Where a specific hardware item is used, such as a bearing, identify its
source and retail part number or trade description. (1/2" ID, 3" OD, 1/2"
bearing face, sealed, medium precision tapered roller bearing)

If the same manual is used for a whole family of machines, point out the
distinctions between the machines with a photo or an illustration. I
recently bought a stationary belt sander whose assembly instructions would
have built a different base than shipped and whose illustration had
nothing to do with either the word picture or the shipped article. Once I
decided to go it on my own, the confusion subsided considerably.

Oh ... and have the English translation of a technical manual proofread by
a technically competent person who speaks English as their native
language. Have them assemble the item without diverting from the printed
instructions. If they can't do it, no one else can, either.

Bill

Never run the chuck onto the spindle while the spindle is powered up.
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Bill wrote:

If lubrication is needed before use, the initial charge of lubricant
should be included. (ie; a chainsaw should ship with both bar & chain oil
and enough 2-cycle oil for the first five gallons of fuel)

Off the topic of turning but the Honda mower I bought was oiled, gassed
and included another pint of Honda oil for the first oil change. I
really appreciated that when it came time.

--
Owen Lowe
___

Copyright on HP service manuals Dave Electronics Repair 146 May 7th 05 05:24 PM
Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
What ever happened to service manuals? berkshire bill Home Repair 0 August 9th 04 12:56 AM
instruction manuals Mortimer UK diy 0 May 13th 04 04:54 PM