Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
IMO, an instruction manual should be an adjunct to the proper operation
and maintainance of a machine. Maybe some are, but the ones I've read
aren't and there seems to be little relation between quality of product
and quality of manual.

One thing that occured to me the other day is that lathe manuals should
give some guidance re out of balance capability without harming the
bearings. How that is specified, or how it would be related to real life
turning I don't know, but I read so many posts regarding turning large
pieces of irregular wood on small lathes that I think more guidance is
needed by many.

But maybe that would cause a sharp drop in lathe sales if first time
buyers realised a $200 lathe from Canadian Tire won't handle a 12"
natural edge burl.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com