BigDaddy

Default Old Lathe help

I have recieved a Craftsman 12" wood lathe, model 113 23800. made in 1977.

I found a parts list on the Sears website. The lathe I recieved ( for free)
is missing the Tool rest and bracket. These parts show as unavailable.
Does anyone know if there is aftermarket pieces I can purchas?
I am new to woodturning and looking for a little help. I will call Sears
tomorrow, but thought I would seek some ideas here also.
I posted some pictures of it on a.b.p.w

Thanks
Don

Ken Moon

"BigDaddy" wrote in message
I have recieved a Craftsman 12" wood lathe, model 113 23800. made in 1977.

I found a parts list on the Sears website. The lathe I recieved ( for
free) is missing the Tool rest and bracket. These parts show as
unavailable.
Does anyone know if there is aftermarket pieces I can purchas?
I am new to woodturning and looking for a little help. I will call Sears
tomorrow, but thought I would seek some ideas here also.
I posted some pictures of it on a.b.p.w

Thanks
Don

==================
Don,
If that is their monotube lathe (toolrest and tailstock ride on 2 1/2 in
steel tube), Harbor Freight Tools has a clone and their tool rest should
work on yours. Otherwise, there are several companies that sell individual
components for a "build it yourself" rest. For one of those, you'll need to
know the length of the post required and the length of the rest you need.
You can buy different length rests and just interchange them as needed. 3
places that have these type rests are Woodcraft, Packard Woodworks, and
Craft Supplies USA.
Hope this helps.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Walt Cheever

The bracket (tool rest holder) is the big problem. It has to fit tight, be
adjustable and take a fair amount of torque.

I think that Sears still sells a tube lathe, seem to remember I saw it in
their catalog. You don't think that parts for the new one would fit the old
one..... Naw, never happen.

You might try the old woodworking machines website http://www.owwm.com/

As far as the rest itself--have it welded up. I had two made from 3/4"
round stock one 12" long, one 6" from a welder shop for $20. The post
length should be so that you can go from 1" above the centers to about 1
1/2" below them.

Looks like you might have a nice starter lathe there.

Walt C

"BigDaddy" wrote in message
I have recieved a Craftsman 12" wood lathe, model 113 23800. made in 1977.

I found a parts list on the Sears website. The lathe I recieved ( for
free) is missing the Tool rest and bracket. These parts show as
unavailable.
Does anyone know if there is aftermarket pieces I can purchas?
I am new to woodturning and looking for a little help. I will call Sears
tomorrow, but thought I would seek some ideas here also.
I posted some pictures of it on a.b.p.w

Thanks
Don

BigDaddy

The bracket (I assume that is the piece that is mounted around the pipe?) is
still attached. The parts that are not there attach to it. They are labeled
*tool rest holder and *tool rest. The part that is on the pipe has 2
adjustment levers on it. one to hold the rest? and one to move it along the
pole. That pole has rust on it. What should I put on it after I get the rust
off? Should it be slick?
Thanks for the welding idea, I wil ask around.

Don
Ft. Worth, TX

"BigDaddy" wrote in message
I have recieved a Craftsman 12" wood lathe, model 113 23800. made in 1977.

I found a parts list on the Sears website. The lathe I recieved ( for
free) is missing the Tool rest and bracket. These parts show as
unavailable.
Does anyone know if there is aftermarket pieces I can purchas?
I am new to woodturning and looking for a little help. I will call Sears
tomorrow, but thought I would seek some ideas here also.
I posted some pictures of it on a.b.p.w

Thanks
Don

Leo Lichtman

Check the Ridgid lathe at Home Depot. I think it is the same.

Walt Cheever

IIRC, there is "something" on the pipe that keeps the bracket (and
tailstock) from rotating. A recess?, a key?. If you've got the bracket
that attaches to the pipe, there should be a part that slides in and out
from the centerline (the holder) and a part that moves up and down and
twists (the tool rest.) Tool rest is easy to fabricate, tool rest holder is
tough. But you should be able to find something that will work.

The rusty pole should have the rust removed, so that things slide easily,
but shouldn't be so slippery that you can't crank down on the lock bolts and
have the tool rest and the tailstock stay put.

Take a look at the sears "12" variable speed lathe" catalog # 092172N. I'll
bet it's tool rest and tool rest holder could be made to fit on your
machine.

Happy days!!

Walt C