Donald Vivian

Default Shopping for a new lathe

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new Lathe. I currently have a Ridgid
lathe. It served me well for my first few years of exploring this art.
But I have recently gotten into making pens and other small items. And
my current lathe just doesnt cut it for smaller work. So do any of you
out there have any recomendations?

I have heard a little about the Jet mini, but would really like to hear
what others out there are using. Ideally I would like a lathe that is
good for small detail work as well as larger turning such as 12-16 Inch
bowls. I am not sure if I can have the best of both worlds or not. Most
of my work right now is small turnings so that is the biggest requirement.

Price is not a huge factor, as I will be using money left to me by my
Grandmother when she passed away in January. She really liked my work so
she left me some money to get the proper tools I need.

I look forward to any advice, & suggestions you can provide.

Donald Vivian
dvivian (at) shaw.ca
Bill Rubenstein

Donald:

You can do really small, detailed things on a well engineered large
lathe. You can't do big stuff properly on a small lathe. I've turned
lace bobbins (some with captured rings) on both my Stubby S750 and on
Jet minis. I can do a better job more quickly on the bigger machine. I
turn mainly left handed, hook my right armpit over the tailstock and use
my right hand as a steady rest and go at it with the left hand. There
is no vibration and the machine and I are one.

And, when I want to do 27" bowls or big hollow forms it is no contest.

Bill

Donald Vivian wrote:
[...]

Walt Novinger

Donald,

You might take a look at the Oneway 1640. It will swing 16" and 40"
between centers. I have made many pens and other small things on mine,
as well as nearly 16" platters and bowls. The advantage of this
particular lathe is that you can buy an extension bed for the
_headstock_ ens at the same time or a later date, and swing 24" over it.
I just added the extension to mine, and look forward to the bigger
capacity.

The lathe has been an excellent performer, and I highly recommend it.
You can see it at http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/1640lathe.htm. As usual,
just a happy customer...no financial stake in Oneway. Because you're
apparently in Canada (I used to have Shaw in Calgary), you'll save some
on shipping and duty over us Yanks, eh?

Regards,
Walt Novinger
Raleigh, NC

Donald Vivian wrote:
[...]

billh

I never turned a pen until I got my 20" General 26020VD. Very smooth; only
downside is that the pen looks a little funny sitting on a lathe that size!
You can turn small stuff on a good big lathe but you can't turn big stuff on
a good small lathe.
Billh

"Donald Vivian" wrote in message
[...]

Leo Lichtman

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote: You can do really small, detailed things on a
well engineered large lathe. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Walt Novinger wrote: You might take a look at the Oneway 1640.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since Bill is the US/Canada distributor for Stubby lathes, I thought it only
fair to point out: Stubby owners generally agree that, as a bowl lathe, the
Stubby is not intended for long spindle work. Therefore, if you intend to
make VERY LONG pens, the One-way should be considered G. (I just made a
pen on my Stubby, and couldn't be happier. But, the pen is only 5 1/2"
long.)

cm

Donald,

The Jet mini is the best Value and a very good lathe.

The best mini lathe IMHO is the Vicmarc mini, But it is pretty expensive for
what you get.

BTW I have a brand new Vicmarc mini in my garage all set up and ready to use
if you want to stop by and trade for it or buy it??? I am in Gilbert, AZ

Craig

www.arizonavintagetrailers.com

[...]

robo hippy

Donald,
The one thing that I would suggest is to get a lathe with true variable
speed. It is one feature that once you've tried it, you can;t live
without it.
robo hippy

Barry N. Turner

Well Donald, Here's a line from someone who has been on both ends of the
spectrum. I have been turning on a Jet Mini for about 3 years. For the
price, you can't beat it. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you can turn
on a mini; pens, wine stoppers, paperweights, all sorts of boxes and small
bowls up to a little over 9" D.

I just bought a Stubby 750, in February. Very nice lathe. Heavy, massive,
smooth and quiet. Variable speed. Exceptional capacity for bowls, up to
30" D. Will turn spindles up to 30" or so. Definitely my last lathe.

Barry

PS I still have, love and turn on my Jet Mini............

[...]

mac davis

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:38:49 -0500, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

Well Donald, Here's a line from someone who has been on both ends of the
spectrum. I have been turning on a Jet Mini for about 3 years. For the
price, you can't beat it. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you can turn
on a mini; pens, wine stoppers, paperweights, all sorts of boxes and small
bowls up to a little over 9" D.

I just bought a Stubby 750, in February. Very nice lathe. Heavy, massive,
smooth and quiet. Variable speed. Exceptional capacity for bowls, up to
30" D. Will turn spindles up to 30" or so. Definitely my last lathe.

Barry

PS I still have, love and turn on my Jet Mini............

As Barry says, the Jet Mini is a great lil' lathe.. I've had one for about 6
months and have turned about a hundred things on it.. after using a Shopsmith
for 20 years, I can't get over how smooth and QUIET the mini is...
It's very cool that your Grandmother liked and supported your work.. do her
several "good Turns", as Darrell says.. *g*
You might also look at the next Jet lathe up.. might be their "midi"??
It's about $500 well set up, and has some nice features, like rotating head
stock, etc... (a mini is about $200 plus legs and extension, if desired.. figure
$400)

[...]

Please remove splinters before emailing