Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Donald Vivian

Default Shopping for a new lathe

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new Lathe. I currently have a Ridgid
lathe. It served me well for my first few years of exploring this art.
But I have recently gotten into making pens and other small items. And
my current lathe just doesnt cut it for smaller work. So do any of you
out there have any recomendations?

I have heard a little about the Jet mini, but would really like to hear
what others out there are using. Ideally I would like a lathe that is
good for small detail work as well as larger turning such as 12-16 Inch
bowls. I am not sure if I can have the best of both worlds or not. Most
of my work right now is small turnings so that is the biggest requirement.

Price is not a huge factor, as I will be using money left to me by my
Grandmother when she passed away in January. She really liked my work so
she left me some money to get the proper tools I need.

I look forward to any advice, & suggestions you can provide.

Donald Vivian
dvivian (at) shaw.ca