mac davis

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:38:49 -0500, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

Well Donald, Here's a line from someone who has been on both ends of the
spectrum. I have been turning on a Jet Mini for about 3 years. For the
price, you can't beat it. You'll be amazed at how much stuff you can turn
on a mini; pens, wine stoppers, paperweights, all sorts of boxes and small
bowls up to a little over 9" D.

I just bought a Stubby 750, in February. Very nice lathe. Heavy, massive,
smooth and quiet. Variable speed. Exceptional capacity for bowls, up to
30" D. Will turn spindles up to 30" or so. Definitely my last lathe.

Barry

PS I still have, love and turn on my Jet Mini............

As Barry says, the Jet Mini is a great lil' lathe.. I've had one for about 6
months and have turned about a hundred things on it.. after using a Shopsmith
for 20 years, I can't get over how smooth and QUIET the mini is...
It's very cool that your Grandmother liked and supported your work.. do her
several "good Turns", as Darrell says.. *g*
You might also look at the next Jet lathe up.. might be their "midi"??
It's about $500 well set up, and has some nice features, like rotating head
stock, etc... (a mini is about $200 plus legs and extension, if desired.. figure
$400)

"Donald Vivian" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new Lathe. I currently have a Ridgid
lathe. It served me well for my first few years of exploring this art.
But I have recently gotten into making pens and other small items. And
my current lathe just doesnt cut it for smaller work. So do any of you
out there have any recomendations?

I have heard a little about the Jet mini, but would really like to hear
what others out there are using. Ideally I would like a lathe that is
good for small detail work as well as larger turning such as 12-16 Inch
bowls. I am not sure if I can have the best of both worlds or not. Most
of my work right now is small turnings so that is the biggest requirement.

Price is not a huge factor, as I will be using money left to me by my
Grandmother when she passed away in January. She really liked my work so
she left me some money to get the proper tools I need.

I look forward to any advice, & suggestions you can provide.

Donald Vivian
dvivian (at) shaw.ca

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing