Ken Moon

Default Spalting hackberry

Hi,
I'll be trimming some big hackberry limbs this week and want to try to get
some spalting to occur. I plan to cut into 2 foot sections, seal one end and
put the other end end-grain down into some mulch. What kind of mulch should
I try to find, or is just any old leaf mulch OK? Any other things specific
to hackberry?
Thanks,

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

George

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
k.net...
Hi,
I'll be trimming some big hackberry limbs this week and want to try to get
some spalting to occur. I plan to cut into 2 foot sections, seal one end

and
put the other end end-grain down into some mulch. What kind of mulch

should
I try to find, or is just any old leaf mulch OK? Any other things specific
to hackberry?
Thanks,

Spores are everywhere, so what you're looking to do is keep the moisture
content of the piece above about 20%. You'll also want to keep the bark on
to keep it from checking radially.

I've had better luck laying the limb down and then turning it to get the
formerly dry side moist. It's tougher to control your degree if you're
wicking from one end. Tends to rot entirely, leave a narrow zone of good
spalt, and stay normal at the up end. In any case, take a peek at someone
who does it differently.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...alted_wood.pdf

Ken Moon

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
[...]

=======================
George,
Thanks for the link! It answers several other questions I had, but didn't
post .... time, how to position, etc. Now it looks like I'll have some
pecan, ash, and sycamore to go with the hackberry. All I need now is to get
the new chain on the saw. (:-))
Thanks,

Ken Moon
Webbervile, TX

Alun Saunders

George wrote:
In any case, take a peek at someone who does it differently.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...alted_wood.pdf

Now at least I know what to tell people who ask me how those black lines
are created ... boundaries between territories of competing fungi! A
bit like the lines you get on really old rocks where colonies of
different lichens meet I suppose.

--
Alun Saunders
George

"Alun Saunders" wrote in message
George wrote:
In any case, take a peek at someone who does it differently.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...alted_wood.pdf

Now at least I know what to tell people who ask me how those black lines
are created ... boundaries between territories of competing fungi! A
bit like the lines you get on really old rocks where colonies of
different lichens meet I suppose.

Lichens are algae/fungi symbionts, and they certainly can do an acid job on
a rock over time .

Worth remembering after the much-discussed dermatitis episode that these
fungi have been in competition with bacteria for the same food. Thus they
have laced their prospective meal with as much as they can in the way of
mycotoxins and antibiotics. These can go well beyond dermatitis - to
anaphylaxis.

Don

english please!! these 1.00 words got my head hurting
already this am..

anaphylaxic shock: extreme allergic reaction to a substance, usually
injested or inhaled but possibly through skin contact, that presents as
redness, itching, then welts (hives), then breathing difficulty because
the throat closes up, followed by death because of lack of oxygen. I
know, been there and done that, fortunately in a hospital setting, so
I'm still able to communicate this to you without a seance.

George

wrote in message
ups.com...
anaphylaxic shock: extreme allergic reaction to a substance, usually
injested or inhaled but possibly through skin contact, that presents as
redness, itching, then welts (hives), then breathing difficulty because
the throat closes up, followed by death because of lack of oxygen. I
know, been there and done that, fortunately in a hospital setting, so
I'm still able to communicate this to you without a seance.

As the snorters and smokers know, absorption through mucous membranes is
rapid, and when those membranes swell inside your trachea and bronchi, you
are in deep kimchi. Known sensitives like yourself should normally carry
epi pens and _wear medic alert jewelry_ to help folks like me who would
give epi rather than albuterol if only we knew.

Willow and Hackberry question RESPITE95 Woodturning 6 December 12th 04 06:09 AM
Hackberry Phil Hansen Woodworking 8 October 19th 04 06:04 PM
White Rot Fungus Razz Woodturning 8 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Large Chunks of Soft Maple Any Good Phil Woodturning 12 January 19th 04 03:07 AM
What is Splated Maple? Never Enough Money Woodworking 7 December 21st 03 12:43 PM