George

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
k.net...
Hi,
I'll be trimming some big hackberry limbs this week and want to try to get
some spalting to occur. I plan to cut into 2 foot sections, seal one end

and
put the other end end-grain down into some mulch. What kind of mulch

should
I try to find, or is just any old leaf mulch OK? Any other things specific
to hackberry?
Thanks,

Spores are everywhere, so what you're looking to do is keep the moisture
content of the piece above about 20%. You'll also want to keep the bark on
to keep it from checking radially.

I've had better luck laying the limb down and then turning it to get the
formerly dry side moist. It's tougher to control your degree if you're
wicking from one end. Tends to rot entirely, leave a narrow zone of good
spalt, and stay normal at the up end. In any case, take a peek at someone
who does it differently.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...alted_wood.pdf