Phil Hansen

Default Hackberry

Bought some mahogany the other day to make a chest of drawers for my
sons wedding present. R10 000 ($1540) a cube (I think that works out at
about $4.40 a bdft - if my conversions are correct)
They had just received 4 bundles of Hackberry (at R14 000 / $2150 a
cube)
Did some searching, found it is used for furniture but not much else
about it. Anybody used it? What is it like to work with and finish?

BTW are the mahogany shavings any good for smoking meat?
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Jana

Phil Hansen wrote in message ...
Bought some mahogany the other day to make a chest of drawers for my
sons wedding present. R10 000 ($1540) a cube (I think that works out at
about $4.40 a bdft - if my conversions are correct)
They had just received 4 bundles of Hackberry (at R14 000 / $2150 a
cube)
Did some searching, found it is used for furniture but not much else
about it. Anybody used it? What is it like to work with and finish?

BTW are the mahogany shavings any good for smoking meat?

Tim,
You can view finished hackberry on my web site. The URL is
www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com Go to the cabinets page and there's
a good example of an armoir built of lumber that we left dead piled
for a while which will darken the grain. Jana
Phil Hansen

In article ,
says...

You can view finished hackberry on my web site. The URL is
www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com Go to the cabinets page and there's
a good example of an armoir built of lumber that we left dead piled
for a while which will darken the grain. Jana

Thanks, you have some nice stuff. The hackberry looks nothing like the
raw timber in the bundels. I suppose the leaving for while before using
brings out the colors. Pricy, but what isn't these days.
BTW on a slow connection your site is a painful waiting experience. You
see the lumber, flooring, moulding bar about 30 times before anything
else start to appear.

--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Kevin Craig

In article , Phil Hansen
wrote:

Bought some mahogany the other day to make a chest of drawers for my
sons wedding present. R10 000 ($1540) a cube (I think that works out at
about $4.40 a bdft - if my conversions are correct)
They had just received 4 bundles of Hackberry (at R14 000 / $2150 a
cube)
Did some searching, found it is used for furniture but not much else
about it. Anybody used it? What is it like to work with and finish?

In the U.S., hackberry is often the "hardwood" when cheap furniture is
advertised as "all hardwood". It's highly variable in texture, grain,
and quality. I've seen some that's very nice. I've never seen any
that's worth more than mahogany (assuming we're talking true mahogany,
not luan or other variants).

BTW are the mahogany shavings any good for smoking meat?

Tropicals are risky for smoking; they can be allergenic.

For the ultimate FAQ on barbecue and smoking, see this:

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Good luck!

Kevin
Jana

Phil Hansen wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

You can view finished hackberry on my web site. The URL is
www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com Go to the cabinets page and there's
a good example of an armoir built of lumber that we left dead piled
for a while which will darken the grain. Jana

Thanks, you have some nice stuff. The hackberry looks nothing like the
raw timber in the bundels. I suppose the leaving for while before using
brings out the colors. Pricy, but what isn't these days.
BTW on a slow connection your site is a painful waiting experience. You
see the lumber, flooring, moulding bar about 30 times before anything
else start to appear.

Dead piling helps darken the grain but this is northern grown which
has more grain than southern grown anyway. I always run a sale on it
for $1.60 a bf, s2s, kiln dried. Sorry, can't go much lower. I know
the site is slow and would change it if I could.... if you have any
ideas, my email works and I'm open to suggestions and appreciate your
time. Thanks, Jana

Mark & Juanita

On 18 Oct 2004 07:05:04 -0700, (Jana) wrote:

[...]

So, what kind of shipping costs would be incurred shipping to Tucson, AZ?
Your prices look pretty good compared to what we are paying here.

Jana

Mark & Juanita wrote in message news:1098158171.ihfTJ7i6VKW7TI9TKzwy0Q@teranews. ..
[...]

Mark and or Juanita, Shipping depends on weight and the more you
order, the better it averages out per bf. Wish you'd have written 3
months ago because we ran our own truck to Tucson for another
delivery. If you can drop me an email with your zip code I'd be more
than happy to run the numbers and show you where the best breaks are.
If you know of other woodworkers in the area who may be interested in
lumber or any other goods we carry, I'll combine orders or whatever it
takes to get better prices on the shipping. Thanks, Jana