Paul O'Flaherty

Default where's my hot water?

I've just moved into a house about 30 years old. There was building going
on outside so they had to cut the water supply. When the water was
eventually turned back on i could hear the water filling the tanks in the
attic, great. I gat up this morning and all the cold taps have running
water but the all the hot taps do not, also my electric shower does not
work. Has anybody know what's going on or the steps to finding out the
source of the problem.

Thanks
Paul

Christian McArdle

I gat up this morning and all the cold taps have running water but
the all the hot taps do not

Probably an airlock. Solution depends on the layout of your system, but
often involves connecting your mains pressure cold supply to the offending
section by fair means or foul.

In the event that you have gravity hot water and mains cold water to a
kitchen mixer tap, you can place some sort of rubber or soft plastic pad
over the spout and hold it on tight with a tea towel. You then turn the hot
on full and give a five second blast of the cold, pulling on the towel hard
enough to not turn the kitchen into a swimming pool. Success depends on the
shape of the spout and the layout of your hot water system.

Christian.

Simon Avery

"Paul O'Flaherty" wrote:

Hello Paul

POF| I've just moved into a house about 30 years old. There was
POF| building going on outside so they had to cut the water
POF| supply. When the water was eventually turned back on i
POF| could hear the water filling the tanks in the attic, great.
POF| I gat up this morning and all the cold taps have
POF| running water but the all the hot taps do not, also my
POF| electric shower does not work. Has anybody know what's
POF| going on or the steps to finding out the source of the
POF| problem.

If they've not worked since you moved there, it could be *anything*.
Airlock, a stopcock turned off, broken pipes or even just plain not
connected.

You're not giving us much to go on. If you can't spot the problem
yourself, you're going to need somebody to look at it for you.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Water system problem BigWallop UK diy 2 August 8th 03 11:12 AM
Heating & hot water crisis - advice sought Trevor UK diy 4 July 16th 03 11:53 PM
Water softner for shower Sue Mortimore UK diy 20 July 16th 03 04:30 PM
Leaky AquaLisa shower AlexL UK diy 3 July 9th 03 09:27 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM