Adam

Default Vapour barrier in loft conversion...

Hi All,

We're in the process of insulating our loft conversion, something the
builders that performed the conversion didn't seem to think was
necessary - in Scotland. To do this we've been taking down the
plasterboard on the walls and pitched part of the ceilings and putting
XtraTherm (which appears to be a Celotex clone) between the studs.
This is an old stone house with wooden rafters forming a pitched,
slated roof.

First room we did was the bathroom and f*ck me if we weren't too
stupid to remember to put a vapour barrier in before putting the new
plasterboard up over the insulation. D'Oh!

I guess we really need to get some vapour barrier in. Is there an
alternative to pulling out the plasterboard, stapling up polythene and
putting the more plasterboard up?

Replies don't have to be sypathetic.

Cheers - Adam...
Tony Bryer

In article , Adam
wrote:
I guess we really need to get some vapour barrier in. Is there an
alternative to pulling out the plasterboard, stapling up polythene
and putting the more plasterboard up?

2 coats of Gyproc drywall sealer, according to its manufacturer will
provide a vapour control layer. I suspect that a couple of good
coats of vinyl emulsion would too.

fred

In article , Adam
writes

Wise words from Tony, plus a couple of extras below:

We're in the process of insulating our loft conversion, something the
builders that performed the conversion didn't seem to think was
necessary - in Scotland. To do this we've been taking down the
plasterboard on the walls and pitched part of the ceilings and putting
XtraTherm (which appears to be a Celotex clone) between the studs.

Does it have foil in the same way as Celotex? If so and it is to the inside
then you are half way there, ok not prefect, but Tony's extra sealing
suggestions make it better.

This is an old stone house with wooden rafters forming a pitched,
slated roof.

Sarking on top of the rafters? Make sure you have a ventilated gap
between the insulation and the sarking. It's meant to be a couple of inches
in case any moisture gets through the roof, might be able to get away with
an inch.

First room we did was the bathroom and f*ck me if we weren't too
stupid to remember to put a vapour barrier in before putting the new
plasterboard up over the insulation. D'Oh!

Shame it was the bathroom, the room with the most water vapour :-/. I'd be
happy with sealing the plasterboard tho'.
--
fred
basil

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:16:26 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

I suspect that a couple of good coats of vinyl emulsion would too.

But thats whats recomended for new plaster to allow it to continue
drying out so I doubt it has any vapour seal properties.

If ceiling height isn't a problem then adding a layer of foil backed
plaster board ( the best kind of vapour seal ) is another solution,
plus adds sound insulation. There is no need to remove the boards
already up, with all the waste, mess, hours pulling nails out of the
rafters etx
David M

Adam wrote:
Hi All,

We're in the process of insulating our loft conversion, something the
builders that performed the conversion didn't seem to think was
necessary - in Scotland. To do this we've been taking down the

snip

Adam

If you want to avoid the crap when the time eventually comes to sell, then
all of the conversion has to go through building control, who will be
especially picky about having adequate insulation. You can check up on the
current regs at
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/build_reg...s/contents.asp
part J in particular.

the other area that you must take adequate care over is ensuring a 50mm air
gap between the insulation and roof, and also adequate roof vents and at the
eaves. Insulation manufacturers normally have decent application notes
covering this.

cheers

David

Adam-the-Kiwi

fred wrote in message ...
In article , Adam
writes

Wise words from Tony, plus a couple of extras below:

We're in the process of insulating our loft conversion, something the
builders that performed the conversion didn't seem to think was
necessary - in Scotland. To do this we've been taking down the
plasterboard on the walls and pitched part of the ceilings and putting
XtraTherm (which appears to be a Celotex clone) between the studs.

Does it have foil in the same way as Celotex? If so and it is to the inside
then you are half way there, ok not prefect, but Tony's extra sealing
suggestions make it better.

Yes, it does.

This is an old stone house with wooden rafters forming a pitched,
slated roof.

Sarking on top of the rafters? Make sure you have a ventilated gap
between the insulation and the sarking. It's meant to be a couple of inches
in case any moisture gets through the roof, might be able to get away with
an inch.

No worries there - there is about 120mm gap between insulation and
sarking. Big, deep rafters...

First room we did was the bathroom and f*ck me if we weren't too
stupid to remember to put a vapour barrier in before putting the new
plasterboard up over the insulation. D'Oh!

Shame it was the bathroom, the room with the most water vapour :-/. I'd be
happy with sealing the plasterboard tho'.

Aye. I was thrilled when I realised that we'd chosen to stuff up the
bathroom, of all rooms.

Thanks - Adam...
Adam-the-Kiwi

Tony Bryer wrote in message ...
In article , Adam
wrote:
I guess we really need to get some vapour barrier in. Is there an
alternative to pulling out the plasterboard, stapling up polythene
and putting the more plasterboard up?

2 coats of Gyproc drywall sealer, according to its manufacturer will
provide a vapour control layer. I suspect that a couple of good
coats of vinyl emulsion would too.

Thanks Tony - that's a relief.

I guess we'll probably use 2 coats of Gyproc drywall sealer topped
with a couple of coats of vinyl emulsion, then...

Thanks again - Adam...
John Rumm

David M wrote:

the other area that you must take adequate care over is ensuring a 50mm
air gap between the insulation and roof, and also adequate roof vents
and at the eaves. Insulation manufacturers normally have decent
application notes covering this.

The usual trick with lofts is some insulation between the rafters, and
then some under them before the plasterboard goes on. If you use foil
tape over the joins in the final layer then you have a good seal without
any additional barrier.

--
Cheers,

John.