Adam-the-Kiwi

fred wrote in message ...
In article , Adam
writes

Wise words from Tony, plus a couple of extras below:

We're in the process of insulating our loft conversion, something the
builders that performed the conversion didn't seem to think was
necessary - in Scotland. To do this we've been taking down the
plasterboard on the walls and pitched part of the ceilings and putting
XtraTherm (which appears to be a Celotex clone) between the studs.

Does it have foil in the same way as Celotex? If so and it is to the inside
then you are half way there, ok not prefect, but Tony's extra sealing
suggestions make it better.

Yes, it does.

This is an old stone house with wooden rafters forming a pitched,
slated roof.

Sarking on top of the rafters? Make sure you have a ventilated gap
between the insulation and the sarking. It's meant to be a couple of inches
in case any moisture gets through the roof, might be able to get away with
an inch.

No worries there - there is about 120mm gap between insulation and
sarking. Big, deep rafters...

First room we did was the bathroom and f*ck me if we weren't too
stupid to remember to put a vapour barrier in before putting the new
plasterboard up over the insulation. D'Oh!

Shame it was the bathroom, the room with the most water vapour :-/. I'd be
happy with sealing the plasterboard tho'.

Aye. I was thrilled when I realised that we'd chosen to stuff up the
bathroom, of all rooms.

Thanks - Adam...