s--p--o--n--i--x

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:08:00 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Buying and using an air nailer at this quality level and price point
is a fool's game and an accident waiting to happen.

I'd suggest that the Aldi nail gun is decent otherwise why would they
risk guaranteeing it for three years? Surely they'd just stick a 12
month guarantee on it?

GB

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Since I can control the risk there by buying a decent nailer, that's
what I've done.

I speak from ignorance about nailers, but I did buy a cheap angle grinder,
which is also potentially a pretty lethal piece of gear. The main difference
I could find in the cheap one was that it was more crudely made and *much*
heavier. It did not seem to be any less strong or more likely to fail. I
dare say that it would be unsuitable for prolonged use over many years
because bearings and other internal parts would be less well made. For
occasional DIY use, it was perfect.

Is it possible that the Aldi nailer falls into the same sort of category, ie
more crudely made but still robust and safe? As I said, I have not seen it.

Holly in France

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:13:27 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

There is a huge difference in build quality between these
£20 jobs and a good quality one like a Senco. The latter will cost
around £100, but I simply don't think it's worth the risk of skimping
where compressed air is concerned.

Andy, can you recommend a nail gun (with it's own air supply) for around
the 100GBP mark which would do for secret nailing chestnut parquet flooring
onto green(ish) oak joists please? Friends of our asked us this the other
day and we don't know. My husband suggested that they invest in a decent
hammer but they didn't seem very happy with that suggestion :-)

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne

In article , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
wrote:

Buying and using an air nailer at this quality level and price point
is a fool's game and an accident waiting to happen.

I'd suggest that the Aldi nail gun is decent otherwise why would they
risk guaranteeing it for three years? Surely they'd just stick a 12
month guarantee on it?

Guarantees are just a marketing tool, they say nothing about the quality
of the tool or the company that makes them
--
David
Magician

Screwfix have a deal at present; compressor, brad gun, blow gun, tyre
inflator, spray gun all for =A360! I bought one two years ago when they
were =A399 and I can't fault it (haven't used the spray gun).

Dave

Mary Fisher

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:35:37 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I would expect that the Aldi till operators WOULD be appraised (note
correct
spelling) of all the necessary procedures for all eventualities. I've been
very surprised at their efficiency.

I was rather surprised that Aldi till staff are paid around £8 per
hour!

I'm pleased to hear that, they earn it. They're quick, courteous and always
pleasant. The queues this morning were even l - o - n - g - e - r than
usual (bank holiday siege syndrome - we went for gardening stuff) but they
(the queues) moved amazingly quickly.

Mary

Chris Bacon

RedOnRed wrote:
"[news]" wrote in message
No, if it's not fit for purpose, or of merchantable quality or it breaks
at any time in the next 3 years the OP will get their £20 back.

You most likely wouldn't get your £20 back. You'd get it repaired under
warranty.

Don't be daft.

Unless of course you took them to a small claims court to prove
your point.

Mountains out of molehills.
Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
"[news]" wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

Having already a small compressor, I wonder whether the £20 pneumatic
nailer from Aldi is worth having? Any ideas?

3 year warranty, £20, give it a whirl, what do you have to lose ?

Fingers... eyes....

Same as any other nailer used improperly, then.
Mary Fisher

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:01:45 -0000, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Talking to the manager in the local Aldi about their returns
procedures.

He said that if you returned an item that they still stocked they'd
offer the option to replace it or receive a refund. If it were out of
stock they'd refund the purchase price (If you had the receipt),
otherwise they'd refund the price it was last sold at. However, high
priced items such as computers may be sent for repair, at the managers
discretion.

However, he said that Aldi had major problems with people buying
things like digital cameras, returning them just before the warranty
expires claiming that they'd gone faulty. Often the items were No
fault found. The people would then re-buy the same item (Often
cheaper) a few weeks later.

When I bought my digital camera about three, maybe four years ago, it was in
a desperate hurry from Comet in Salisbury. I was advised by the salesman to
take out the service cover and throw the camera down the stairs just before
it ran out then it would be exchanged for the latest equivalent model.

I thought that his attitude was immoral but I had no time to protest.

The camera has been used almost daily, I've been very pleased with it. The
display is going dim but the guarantee has now run out. It went dim once
before and was fixed free but it took weeks. It's not a great[problem
because I'm experienced in composing pictures through the eye-piece.

The camera has been dropped - accidentally - many times, on all sorts of
surfaces. It's even been dropped in the pond. It's survived with no ill
effect. It looks scruffy now but as long as it works I don't care.

In a way I'd LIKE it to die because I know the one I'd like to replace it
but it looks as though it might see me out!

Ill-treating something deliberately to have a 'free' replacement is an abuse
of our consumer rights and adds to the cost of all goods. It's a form of
theft.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Magician" wrote in message
oups.com...
Screwfix have a deal at present; compressor, brad gun, blow gun,
tyre
inflator, spray gun all for £60! I bought one two years ago when they
were £99 and I can't fault it (haven't used the spray gun).

According to some the quality won't be as good since it's cheaper ... :-)

Mary

Dave

Chris Bacon

Well, this thread's certainly bought a few winkers out of the woodwork,
and a few helpful replies, too! Cheers, chaps! Off to get one.
Euan Kerr

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4241d312$0
:

operators WOULD be appraised (note correct spelling)

....unfortunately it's the wrong word for the context:

apprise
verb {T} FORMAL
to inform: - The President has been apprised of the situation.

appraise
verb {T}
to examine someone or something in order to judge their qualities,
success or needs: - At the end of each teaching practice, trainee
teachers are asked to appraise their own performance.

:-)
[news]

Chris Bacon wrote:
Well, this thread's certainly bought a few winkers out of the woodwork,
and a few helpful replies, too! Cheers, chaps! Off to get one.

I had a good look at one this morning, the specs seem ok, the compressor will
drive a 1/2" air ratchet/drive for automotive use. the feel of the nail gun was quite
solid and would be perfectly adequate for occasional DIY use for the average user.
I was tempted but I've got far too many tools and bits of kit lying round as it is.

RT

Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.
[news]

Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.

I think it reflects quite accurately, tho, which is helpful for future reference.

RT

Chris Bacon

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
I was rather surprised that Aldi till staff are paid around £8 per
hour!

They work hard. I drop in occasionally if there's an offer I like the
look of (htp://www.aldi.co.uk), and wander around picking up odds &
ends, too. At the till they go through so fast it's like being machine-
gunned with groceries! However, this is rather OT for uk.d-i-y, so
maybe time to stop.
Mary Fisher

"Euan Kerr" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4241d312$0
:

operators WOULD be appraised (note correct spelling)

...unfortunately it's the wrong word for the context:

Yes - but did he know that? Do most people? It's one of the most common
incorrect substitutes in our much defiled language :-(

Mary

Mary Fisher

"[news]" wrote in message
Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.

I think it reflects quite accurately, tho, which is helpful for future
reference.

No, just because you disagree with someone, no matter how strongly, on a
particular matter doesn't mean that you will on every other matter. Leave
some latitude for yourself :-)

Mary

Mike Halmarack

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:58:50 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.

I think it reflects quite accurately, tho, which is helpful for future reference.

RT

Personally I think Andy Hall is motivated by his perfectionist desire
for quality. The second most likely possibility would be rather too
damning.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Doctor Evil

wrote in message
In article , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
wrote:

Buying and using an air nailer at this quality level and price point
is a fool's game and an accident waiting to happen.

I'd suggest that the Aldi nail gun is decent otherwise why would they
risk guaranteeing it for three years? Surely they'd just stick a 12
month guarantee on it?

Guarantees are just a marketing tool, they say nothing about the quality
of the tool or the company that makes them

Bertie, it gives peace of mind to the buyer in that within 3 years they can
have their money back or the item replace if defective. Are you suggesting
that people ignore the 3 yr guarantee?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Mike Halmarack

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:59:37 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
I was rather surprised that Aldi till staff are paid around £8 per
hour!

They work hard. I drop in occasionally if there's an offer I like the
look of (htp://www.aldi.co.uk), and wander around picking up odds &
ends, too. At the till they go through so fast it's like being machine-
gunned with groceries!

Do they do barbed wire?

However, this is rather OT for uk.d-i-y, so
maybe time to stop.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Tony Bryer

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
If you want to value yourself as low as £20 in order to save a
little money on a type of tool which if it breaks can maim or
kill, then that's your choice.

In your other post you're suggesting that the OP spends £100.
Spending £20 instead of £100 is not "saving a little money" in my
book.

My hunch (and it is only that) is that when Aldi/Lidl do offers
like this they are able to get the price because of the quantity
they are buying - and because of this they are likely to satisfy
themselves as to the safety of the goods involved, given what the
cost of a recall would be (in refunds, advertising it, and bad
publicity).

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

[news]

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Euan Kerr" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4241d312$0
:

operators WOULD be appraised (note correct spelling)

...unfortunately it's the wrong word for the context:

Yes - but did he know that?

pi$$ed )

drop one clanger and I'm dammned forever :-(

RT

Chris Bacon

Magician wrote:
Screwfix have a deal at present; compressor

DON'T USE IT! Compressed AIR is HIGHLY DANGEROUS in UNTRAINED hands, and
anyway at that PRICE it is almost sure to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

brad gun,

DON'T USE IT! At that PRICE it is almost SURE to SPRAY BRADS all over
the place, possibly NAILING YOUR HEAD to the WALL! And that's JUST
BEFORE it BLOWS UP in your FACE!!!!

blow gun,

DON'T USE IT!!! It is VERY liable to EXPLODE, possibly TAKING YOUR HOUSE
DOWN!!!! At the very LEAST it is LIABLE to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

tyre inflator,

THIS IS DANGEROUS!!! A tyre INFLATOR at this price won't have the POWER
to function PROPERLY, and even if it DOES, the TYRE INFLATOR is likely
to BLOW UP in your FACE shortly before your CAR TYRE EXPLODES shredding
your GONADS!!!!

spray gun

A splay GUN - oh my GOD - RUN for COVER even if it's STILL in it's BOX!
YOU KNOW it's HIGHLY likely to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

all for £60!

YOU SHOULD be paying at least £6,000,000 for a SET UP like this, else it
WILL NOT be effective & is SURE TO BE likely to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

I bought one two years ago when they were £99 and I can't fault it

AH. OH. Oh well I've nothing to say to you I will HAVE to - OFF now for
a quick LIE DOWN in my BEDROOM and have a QUICK PLAY with MY TOOLs.

(haven't used the spray gun).

Dave - thanks - noffence intended - see rest of thread. ROFL.
Doctor Evil

"Pete" wrote in message

Chris Bacon]Having already a small compressor, I wonder whether the £20
pneumatic
nailer from Ali is worth having? Any ideas?

I not sure what is on offer but at twenty pounds it is likely to be a
brad nailer,
Ideal for fixing light weight trims /mouldings stabilizing joints etc
while the glue sets.

You can pay a lot more for this type, but the cheaper guns seem to
perform well.
The actual nail is more akin to a panel pin, If you are looking for
something heavier as used on many of the DIY programs you need to set
your sights higher and go for a multi nailer or a framing nailer.
But for the money Its a useful tool.

"The ideal accessory for our Powercraft compressor, this handy air gun is
ideal for quick and accurate fixing. This product is suitable for both
staples and nails and will work with 16/25/40/50mm nails and 13/16/25/40mm
staple lengths.
1 pack of staples and nails included. Complete with a rigid carry case.
Maximum working pressu 6 bar and 0.11 air consumption."

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_132.html

£80 for a compressor and nail guns is excellent value.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

RichardS

"Pete" wrote in message

[...]

If it does what it says on the tin then excellent - a useful tool for a
damned good price.

If it doesn't, then it's a waste of the purchasor's time, money & the
earth's resources - 3yr warranty or not.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Doctor Evil

"Pete" wrote in message

[...]

If after 1 week you don't like it, can you return it like in B&Q, Screwfix,
etc?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Hall

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:49:28 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.

I don't think so.

I simply don't believe that something for £20 in Aldi is going to be
of a different build quality to something for £20 in B&Q or anywhere
else. I have seen a wide variety of the low end ones in different
places. They are all the same apart from trim.

If you look and compare this type of tool with a Senco, Porter Cable
or Hitachi nailer, the differences in build quality are very obvious
and are not chrome plating.

Further, if you had seen the result of what happens when the mechanics
on one of these low end nailers fails, you wouldn't be making such
stupid remarks.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.

I think it reflects quite accurately, tho, which is helpful for future reference.

I think that it actually reflects that you have no idea about the
safety aspects of air tools.

I would recommend that you don't consider buying one.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"[news]" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Euan Kerr" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4241d312$0
:

operators WOULD be appraised (note correct spelling)

...unfortunately it's the wrong word for the context:

Yes - but did he know that?

pi$$ed )

drop one clanger and I'm dammned forever :-(

No, I'm very forgiving.

I also have a bad memory for people's solecisms.

Mary

RT

Andy Hall

Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.

I think it reflects quite accurately, tho, which is helpful for future reference.

RT

Personally I think Andy Hall is motivated by his perfectionist desire
for quality. The second most likely possibility would be rather too
damning.

Thanks for the thought Mike.

Actually I'm not a perfectionist as such. I prefer to achieve things
well, effectively and efficiently. If you achieve perfection, there
is only one way to go, and that is away from it, so not a good idea.

However in general you're right about one aspect of my product
choices, and that is doing a good job. The main part for me is
looking at all of the aspects, and not just the purchase price as I've
said before.

On this particular topic, though, my issue is not one of tool
performance, although better nailers certainly do perform better than
entry level ones. The results are more consistent and the mechanisms
are much less prone to jamming. My major concern is over safety
here. Compressed air and compressed air tools are very useful and
very effective - I use them both a lot. However, compressed air,
although seemingly inoccuous in comparison with electricity and other
energy sources, can be absolutely lethal, especially when brought
together with a percussion tool like a nailer.

In this area, I simply think that it is foolhardy to go for anything
less than the best tools that you can get regardless of price. A
comparable, good quality nailer costs around £100 rather than the £20
under discussion here. I value my eyes, fingers and other bits of
my body far more highly than £80.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

In article , Doctor Evil
writes

wrote in message
.. .
In article , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
wrote:

Buying and using an air nailer at this quality level and price point
is a fool's game and an accident waiting to happen.

I'd suggest that the Aldi nail gun is decent otherwise why would they
risk guaranteeing it for three years? Surely they'd just stick a 12
month guarantee on it?

Guarantees are just a marketing tool, they say nothing about the quality
of the tool or the company that makes them

Bertie, it gives peace of mind to the buyer in that within 3 years they can
have their money back or the item replace if defective. Are you suggesting
that people ignore the 3 yr guarantee?

To be honest John its not worth going though this again with you, you
didn't understand it last time so you're not likely to understand it
this
--
David
Andy Hall

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:37:38 -0000, "GB"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

Since I can control the risk there by buying a decent nailer, that's
what I've done.

I speak from ignorance about nailers, but I did buy a cheap angle grinder,
which is also potentially a pretty lethal piece of gear. The main difference
I could find in the cheap one was that it was more crudely made and *much*
heavier. It did not seem to be any less strong or more likely to fail. I
dare say that it would be unsuitable for prolonged use over many years
because bearings and other internal parts would be less well made. For
occasional DIY use, it was perfect.

Is it possible that the Aldi nailer falls into the same sort of category, ie
more crudely made but still robust and safe? As I said, I have not seen it.

It's always possible.

We have had at least one story of a cheap angle grinder catching fire,
but in general rotating electrical tools as you say are more likely to
be inconvenient or be heavy or wear more quickly rather than failing
catastrophically.

The mechanisms in air nailers are quite different in the failures tend
to be either the mechanism jamming or something giving way.
In the first case people tend to try to fix them without knowing what
they are doing and then they fail catastrophically anyway.

When a nail is being punched into a piece of hardwood, the forces at
the head of the tool are enormous and I have seen the result of one
failing - pieces flying everywhere and bits in the wall.

Hence I only buy the best quality nailers, maintain them exactly
according to the maker's instructions and always with the requisite
safety equipment.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:12:11 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
If you want to value yourself as low as £20 in order to save a
little money on a type of tool which if it breaks can maim or
kill, then that's your choice.

In your other post you're suggesting that the OP spends £100.
Spending £20 instead of £100 is not "saving a little money" in my
book.

Well Tony.... I think it is if you are comparing against the loss of
eyes, fingers and the effect of other injuries.

My hunch (and it is only that) is that when Aldi/Lidl do offers
like this they are able to get the price because of the quantity
they are buying - and because of this they are likely to satisfy
themselves as to the safety of the goods involved, given what the
cost of a recall would be (in refunds, advertising it, and bad
publicity).

Possibly... I am simply comparing the low end here with the Senco,
PC, and Hitachi products. Quite likely Aldi do have for £20 what
everybody else has for £30 - I don't suppose that they are any worse.

I just don't think that the risk is worth taking.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
[news]

Chris Bacon wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
There is a large difference in build quality between these £20 air
tools and decent ones.

Oh, pshaw. You have not seen the item in question. I'm sure there's
some difference - maybe yours is chrome-plated and has a nice sparkly
badge on it. I don't know, and don't care - but coming out with stupid
statements as above reflects badly on you.

I think it reflects quite accurately, tho, which is helpful for future reference.

I think that it actually reflects that you have no idea about the
safety aspects of air tools.

incorrect, I've used many air tools. I've even been forced onto an H&S course
(got a certificate somewhere) where people like you took a whole afternoon
to labouriously spell out (what could have been conveyed in 30mins) instructions
on the correct use of tools & compressors (even tho we'd been using them for
years with no problems) /and/ the need to have them certificated annually /and/
shown a video of various air tool accidents, ad nauseum.

people like you seem make a song and dance about being in posession of
superior knowledge that many treat as general knowledge or common sense.

personally, if some numpty offs themselves due to incorrect use of any power tool,
£20 or £100, then I'm all for it, preferably before they breed.

darwinism in action.

RT

Andy Hall

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:05:25 -0000, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
In article , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
wrote:

Buying and using an air nailer at this quality level and price point
is a fool's game and an accident waiting to happen.

I'd suggest that the Aldi nail gun is decent otherwise why would they
risk guaranteeing it for three years? Surely they'd just stick a 12
month guarantee on it?

Guarantees are just a marketing tool, they say nothing about the quality
of the tool or the company that makes them

Bertie, it gives peace of mind to the buyer in that within 3 years they can
have their money back or the item replace if defective. Are you suggesting
that people ignore the 3 yr guarantee?

When it is simple a marketing tool to mask the reality of what the
customer is getting then it should be ignored.

Unfortunately most people are gullible and fall for this as well as
trinket features like cheap laser guides. They also buy lottery
tickets....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:24:41 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
"[news]" wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

Having already a small compressor, I wonder whether the £20 pneumatic
nailer from Aldi is worth having? Any ideas?

3 year warranty, £20, give it a whirl, what do you have to lose ?

Fingers... eyes....

Same as any other nailer used improperly, then.

Of course. Any air tool used improperly can cause serious injury.
There is no need to compound the risk by using anything other than a
good quality one.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Unfortunately most people are gullible

That makes you sound very smug ...

and fall for this as well as
trinket features like cheap laser guides. They also buy lottery
tickets....

We've never bought a lottery ticket - of ANY kind - ever.

No idea what a cheap laser guide is.

But I bet you buy some things on price which I wouldn't, does that make you
gullible?

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:38:07 +0000, Holly in France
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:13:27 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

There is a huge difference in build quality between these
£20 jobs and a good quality one like a Senco. The latter will cost
around £100, but I simply don't think it's worth the risk of skimping
where compressed air is concerned.

Andy, can you recommend a nail gun (with it's own air supply) for around
the 100GBP mark which would do for secret nailing chestnut parquet flooring
onto green(ish) oak joists please? Friends of our asked us this the other
day and we don't know. My husband suggested that they invest in a decent
hammer but they didn't seem very happy with that suggestion :-)

This is rather specific, Holly.

I'm no expert on parquet flooring, but thought that it had to be laid
onto a substrate such as ply.

If they are talking about secret nailing larger boards to joists, then
there are air nailers for that, but they are specialised and pretty
expensive. There are mechanical only flooring nailers but even these
are north of £200.

There are a selection at www.rutlands.co.uk Enter "flooring nailer"
and search.

Since this is such a specific tool, it probably makes sense to rent
it, if it's only to several floors in a house.

I have used a mechanical one and they certainly save time and make the
job a bit easier.

One important thing with secret nailing of flooring is getting the
nails positioned consistently and well. The specialised nailers
essentially do that for you.