Mike Halmarack

Default Best form of hireable transportation for materials pickup?

I plan to buy several types of demolition materials (or if necessary
the more expensive "reclaimed" variety). This is going to be mainly
timber. It will be negotiated for over a period of time and then
collected in one fell swoop over perhaps a 200 - 300 mile radius.
Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive, so in
terms of carrying capacity and sturdiness what would be the best
vehicle to hire for this purpose?
If the missing factor is expected quantity, then shall we say as much
as is realistically possible.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Christian McArdle

Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive, so in
terms of carrying capacity and sturdiness what would be the best
vehicle to hire for this purpose?

A transit based pickup. Might be hard to find, so go for a ply lined LWB
transit. Lutons generally have weak sides and lower payload capacity (i.e.
they have the same 3500kg MAM, but are heavier than the standard van when
unladen, leaving less carrying ability). Whilst 3500kg Lutons are
available, you said no HGV. You need a special licence (C1 category, which
you may or may not have).

Remember to consider the weight of materials. It doesn't take many slates to
reach a tonne, and much over that and you'll be illegal, which is a very
serious offence, particularly in a commercial vehicle.

If you're transporting heavy, rather than bulky materials. (i.e. you've got
slates/rocks etc rather than insulation boards to shift), then the smallest
3500kg van you can find will have the greatest payload ability. That will
probably be a MWB, although you might find a 3500kg SWB.

Christian.

Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:21:24 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot Christian. That didn't leave much to the imagination. I
know exactly what I'm looking for now.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
[news]

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a 'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

RT

Christian McArdle

wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a 'driver hire'
type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a few

multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Personally, I'd drive it myself. I love driving 7.5 tonners. I usually only
get the chance when moving house. But then, I do have C1 on my licence.

My favourite was a LWB crew cab Merc 312 box taillift with the most
atrociously snatchy hissy air brakes. It had a digital braking system with
two modes.

Mode A: 5 mph - brake pedal allows either no braking or complete lock up.
Mode B: 5 mph - brake pedal acts as a convenient foot rest.

Note that all the =3500kg vans are "conventional", in that they have
basically beefed up car mechanics and are not difficult to drive, if you're
put off by the 7.5t mechanics, which are closer to a proper artic than the
Transit.

Christian.

Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:38:13 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Very good point. Might as well think as big as necessary.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Tim Mitchell

In article , Christian
McArdle writes
[...]

You should have C1 if you passed your test before about 1995 (can't
remember the exact date when it was removed from the "standard"
vehicles)

The problem with 7.5 tonne vehicles is you have to be careful about not
overloading them, it isn't as easy to tell as with the smaller vehicles.
--
Tim Mitchell
[news]

Christian McArdle wrote:
wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a 'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Personally, I'd drive it myself.

snip trip down memree lane )

aye, but it's not about you, it's about the OP without the correct licence.

RT

Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:37:22 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:
wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a 'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Personally, I'd drive it myself.

snip trip down memree lane )

aye, but it's not about you, it's about the OP without the correct licence.

Maybe but the enthusiasm and useful info more than made up for the
character shift.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive, so in
terms of carrying capacity and sturdiness what would be the best
vehicle to hire for this purpose?

It depends on how long you've had your licence. There is a cut off date
for driving up to IIRC 7.5 tonne vehicles without an HGV.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

chris French

In message , "[news]"
writes
Christian McArdle wrote:
wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a
'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a
few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Personally, I'd drive it myself.

snip trip down memree lane )

aye, but it's not about you, it's about the OP without the correct licence.

How do you know the OP hasn't got the correct licence? It used to be
standard with car licence
--
Chris French, Leeds
Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:04:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive, so in
terms of carrying capacity and sturdiness what would be the best
vehicle to hire for this purpose?

It depends on how long you've had your licence. There is a cut off date
for driving up to IIRC 7.5 tonne vehicles without an HGV.

My licence goes way back before 1995 but I'm such a crap driver that
I'll find any excuse to have someone else drive.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Gary Cavie

In article ,
says...
[...]

Many years ago (at least 12!) my dad hired a 7.5tonner from the local
hire place, for me to go to Ipswich docks and pick up a load of timber
for him (he runs a joinery company). I duly went up to their yard, at a
local farm, and found the truck, which was a very nice Mercedes, only a
year or two old. I filled in the tacho and trundled the 30 miles or so up
to Ipswich, marvelling at the exhaust brake and other gadgets, and got
there just as the dockers were starting their lunch. With nothing else to
do for an hour, I sat in the cab and started reading through the booklets
that were in the truck. I flipped through the specifications for the
truck, and saw that the axles were rated something along the lines of 8t
on the front, and 15t on the rear. My first thought was 'That's high for
a 7.5tonner', closely followed by 'Oh s**t!'

Never have I driven so smoothly and carefully as I did on the trip
back...
chris French

In message , "[news]"
writes
chris French wrote:
In message , "[news]"
writes
Christian McArdle wrote:
wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a
'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a
few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Personally, I'd drive it myself.

snip trip down memree lane )

aye, but it's not about you, it's about the OP without the correct licence.

How do you know the OP hasn't got the correct licence? It used to be
standard with car licence

just a guess:

"Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive"

The statement is vague.

It could mean at least 3 things:

1. I don't have licence to drive a 7.5 Tonner

2. The OP might not realise that if you got your car licence long enough
ago then you are licensed to drive them.

3. The OP doesn't want to drive one anyway, even if is allowed to.
--
Chris French, Leeds

[news]

chris French wrote:
In message , "[news]"
writes
chris French wrote:
In message , "[news]"
writes
Christian McArdle wrote:
wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a
'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a
few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Personally, I'd drive it myself.

snip trip down memree lane )

aye, but it's not about you, it's about the OP without the correct licence.

How do you know the OP hasn't got the correct licence? It used to be
standard with car licence

just a guess:

"Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive"

The statement is vague.

no it's not. self drive is out of the question - he doesn't want to,
the reason why are a matter for him and pedants like you

RT

chris French

In message , "[news]"
writes
chris French wrote:
In message , "[news]"
writes
chris French wrote:
In message , "[news]"
writes
Christian McArdle wrote:
wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a
'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a
few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Personally, I'd drive it myself.

snip trip down memree lane )

aye, but it's not about you, it's about the OP without the
correct licence.

How do you know the OP hasn't got the correct licence? It used to be
standard with car licence

just a guess:

"Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive"

The statement is vague.

no it's not.

It was.

self drive is out of the question

Indeed.

- he doesn't want to,

correct. Which is not the same as not having licence as you said.

the reason why are a matter for him and pedants like you

and yourself it would seem :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
[news] wrote:
"Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive"

The statement is vague.

no it's not. self drive is out of the question - he doesn't want to,
the reason why are a matter for him and pedants like you

Being more pedantic, is a 7.5 tonner an HGV? After all, there is such a
thing as an HGV licence...

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tim Mitchell

In article , Gary Cavie
writes

[...]

It was probably right, 7.5tonne vehicles are usually rated for much
higher loads than that, just you can't drive them loaded over 7.5 tonne
gross weight without HGV licence. (The Iveco vehicles are really 12
tonne).
--
Tim Mitchell
[news]

chris French wrote:
snip

that's your third post in this thread, none of which are directed at the OP or
offer a solution to thier question, that's trolling exemplified, well done.

RT

Christian McArdle

Being more pedantic, is a 7.5 tonner an HGV? After all, there is such a
thing as an HGV licence...

I think it is technically an MGV. HGVs no longer exist. They're called LGVs
now. You need category C1 (or C) to drive an MGV and C to drive an LGV. You
need +E if you want to attach a large trailer, or the vehicle is
articulated.

Christian.

Tim Mitchell

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
[news] wrote:
"Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive"

The statement is vague.

no it's not. self drive is out of the question - he doesn't want to,
the reason why are a matter for him and pedants like you

Being more pedantic, is a 7.5 tonner an HGV? After all, there is such a
thing as an HGV licence...

No it isn't an HGV. They aren't called HGV any more anyway, it is LGV
now. If you do not have category C1 on your licence (apparently the date
this changed was 1/1/97), you need to take a LGV class C1 test to be
able to drive one.

The silly thing is, the test (and cost of training etc) is virtually the
same as for LGV class C (which was HGV class II) which allows you to
drive up to 18 tonnes. So if you are going to the bother of taking the
test you may as well go for the bigger version.
--
Tim Mitchell
Mike Halmarack

Thanks a lot for all the input on this. Thankfully, my question was
clear enough for me to get the answers I needed in the early stages of
the thread. Sorry that my lack of *GV nouse revved up the road ragers.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
chris French

In message , "[news]"
writes
chris French wrote:
snip

that's your third post in this thread, none of which are directed at the OP or
offer a solution to thier question, that's trolling exemplified, well done.

It takes two to tango, would this branch of the thread be here without
you help...? :-)

--
Chris French, Leeds
John Rumm

Mike Halmarack wrote:

wot e said plus - hire a 7.5t flatbed dropside and contact a 'driver hire' type
agency for a day rate for a qualified driver to drive it. quite a few multidrop
drivers do *well* over a dozen drops/pickups in an average day.

Very good point. Might as well think as big as necessary.

I had a feeling you could go upto 7.5T without needing an HGV licence...
(Ford Cargo type size)?

(Pretty sure a friend of mine has done it on several occations, not that
this is a cast iron guarentee that you don't need a licence since that
is the sort of "detail" he is apt to gloss over!)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mike Halmarack wrote:

aye, but it's not about you, it's about the OP without the correct licence.

Maybe but the enthusiasm and useful info more than made up for the
character shift.

Just checked my one and it has C1 (over 3.5T but less than 7.5T), so I
guess most of us have that as well?

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

[news] wrote:

"Hiring a HGV vehicle is out of the question for self-drive"

Yes, but = 7.5T is not HGV

--
Cheers,

John.